Thursday, January 20, 2011

Our Daily Ocean: Day 39

Earlier today, I met Katie Harden of WWAY at Wrightsville Beach to talk about my Brita FilterForGood short film and how I'm feeling about going to the Sundance Film Festival this weekend.  While I talked to Katie, my Mom-- who, along with my sister, is visiting from St. Louis-- picked up litter at Access 36... AND...nearly all of today's litter was picked up by my Mom!!!  YAY!!!
















Thanks to everyone that took the time to vote for my project back in October, my project is now a short film... and we're leaving tomorrow morning for the Sundance Film Festival where my short film will be screened at the Brita FilterForGood event on Saturday... hmmm... I have a feeling there's going to be lots of happy dances this weekend ;)
One thing that Katie asked me is what my hopes are for the film.  Of course, I want the film to help raise awareness of the cigarette butt litter issue... but after much rambling... my response led me back to the reason that I started this blog:  To inspire people to want to make a difference in our world.  Even if it's something as simple as saying, "No straws, please." ;)
Last week, I saw the poster that they'll be using to promote the short film inspired by my project "me"... it's absolutely stunning and I wish I could share it with everyone. (but I can't just yet)  One thing that I can share is the title of the film... something Destin had asked if I would be ok with back in December while we were filming.... of course, I was over-the-top ecstatic to see that Destin decided to title the film: "It Starts With Me" (...I can't stop smiling)

20 minutes on January 20, 2011


Litter by weight: 13.1 oz
101 cigarette butts

Total amount of cigarette butts picked up off of Wrightsville Beach, NC in 39 days:
13,771

2 comments:

  1. The news just gets cooler & cooler! I'm glad the title is "It Starts With Me," that's just so right. Hope you enjoy the time out West, will the movie be streamed online once it's released?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats!!! SO exciting! I can't wait to see the film!

    ReplyDelete