Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Last Mountain

Back in May, I posted two times about mountain top coal removal-- Flip 'Em Off! and End Mountain Top Removal.

So you can imagine my excitement when we arrived in Park City, Utah for the Sundance Film Festival to find out that Brita had given us tickets to see the world premier of the documentary "The Last Mountain." (YAY!!  Thanks Brita!!)  Having read up on the topic, I wasn't shocked by what I saw... although it pained me to see the horrible truths of the coal industry on the big screen... I was completely devastated by what the coal industry is doing to the health of the people in Coal River Valley.  (...and really all across our nation.)



At the end of the film, there was a Q&A with the director... AND....an activist that was in the film said, "Now you know.  You have to do something."


Soooo... I thought to myself... what can *I* do???  What can WE do???

A good first step is to become aware that we are ALL connected to this problem.  Find your connection to mountain top coal removal at iLoveMountains.org.  Then take social action through conserving, helping and supporting the groups in Appalachia, and taking political action.

To learn more about the problems of mountain top coal removal and how you  WE can make a difference.... visit: The Last Mountain: Social Action

No comments:

Post a Comment