Thursday, January 6, 2011

Our Daily Ocean: Day 36

You ever go to a place over and over again... only to find that as many times as you've been there you've been missing something?  I've lived in Wilmington since 1999... and I'm thankful to say that I've been to Wrightsville Beach more times than I can count....
I realized, today, though.... that just one access over from one of our most visited accesses (43)...  we have been walking past one of the most beautiful spots on Wrightsville Beach.  Rolling dunes, grasses, shrubbery... for a moment I imagined that it was untouched...as nature made it... just the way it was supposed to be.
As we walked down the pathway, I thought about that sign (above)... and wished that there had been another. One about littering especially with facts about plastics and how they negatively impact our oceans and wildlife.
We're redoing our bathroom and today one of the painters said, "That's a nice cigarette butt collection you have in your garage."  Of course, I told him "Thanks." :)  Then I said, "They're from Wrightsville Beach.  That's 35 days worth... 20 minutes at a time.  There are 13,279..."  (Yes, his jaw slightly dropped and his eyes widened... and a conversation began.)  
Want to help bring consciousness to others???  Whatever it is you do... share it.... and take part in conversation....
20 minutes on January 6, 2010
Litter by weight: 12 oz
Cigarette butts: 125

Total amount of cigarette butts removed from Wrightsville Beach, NC in 36 days:
13,404

2 comments: