Saturday, March 19, 2011

Our Daily Ocean: Day 51

Back on Day 12,  I shared some observations that my husband and I had while we picked up cigarette butts at Wrightsville Beach.  Since we've been doing the 20 minute clean ups at Wrightsville Beach for over 7 months now... I had kind of forgotten about our observations and how things had changed over the winter.  BUT... while we were at Access 29 on Friday.... we noticed the return of the pair...
Over the winter, it was typical to find stretched out trails of cigarette butts... most likely because people go to the beach to walk.  When the weather is warmer, people spend time sitting... in one spot... and in turn (some) choose to use the beach as their personal ashtray...
 For so many months, we've gone out to Wrightsville Beach and had the beach to ourselves, but Friday was our first really "warm" day... so the beach was super busy... and I have to say that it's kind of strange going to the beach and it being packed!! ;)  But... it was great to be there enjoying the beach with other people.  It was even better when I leaned over several times to pick up litter and heard people say "thank you"... "I appreciate you doing that."

The other day, I watched this video that I think everyone should see....


We all have the power to do something... the question is... "What are you going to do??"


20 minutes on March 18, 2011


Litter by weight: 1 lb 7.4 oz
Cigarette butts: 173


Total amount of cigarette butts removed from Wrightsville Beach, NC in 51 days:
15,223

1 comment:

  1. Cigarette butts the most numerous of litter counts but often the most neglected. Bravo for focusing on that particular piece of nasty litter.
    See my litter eradication stories at http://litterwithastorytotell.blogspot.com/.

    Good Litter Picking wishes to you!
    Bernie Paquette,
    Vermont

    ReplyDelete