Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Our Daily Ocean: Day 48

On Monday... yes, Monday!! (feel free to call me a slacker!!)... we did another 20 minute clean up at Wrightsville Beach.  I've been procrastinating writing this blogpost for so many reasons.... but this morning I was given inspiration (on Facebook of all places) from my friend Harry who writes the blog "The Flotsam Diaries."... I guess I just needed a couple of days to sit on Access 20 and process everything that's been swirling through my head...

Access 20 is where my family and I picked up 1,833 cigarette butts in 20 minutes on September 19, 2010.. that was only our 11th clean up.  When I posted about that day... I remember feeling so sad and frustrated... I actually cried about what we removed from the beach that day.  BUT... then I was happy at the same time because it was in that post that I shared with you all that I had entered what I'm doing in the Brita FilterForGood Film Project... :)   If you haven't seen the film yet... please check it out and share.

(Also, I have so much gratitude for everyone who has commented and shared my project-- the film has been shared on Facebook 2,369 times!!!  YAY!!!  Thank you thank you thank you!!!!)

The only way any of this [litter problem] is going to change is if we help others become conscious to the problem.... this is what 20 minutes looked like on September 19...

Thankfully, we didn't remove that much of anything from Access 20 on Monday.  But we did remove a good amount of straws.  (Don't worry, I'm not going to rant today!! ;) )  

By now, I'm assuming that everyone knows that our family of five chooses to not use straws-- one of our many lessons and changes that we've made because of beach clean ups.  This morning I learned about a fourth-grader who has started a "campaign" of sorts to encourage people to go "Straw-Free."  Once he learned that over 500 million straws were used in the U.S. EVERYDAY... EVERYDAY!!... he stopped using straws and started the Straw-Free Project... check out the site and pledge to go straw-free for at least a month!!  (please)
 After reading my post about our 46th clean up, Jennifer-- who writes the blog Jennasaurus-- and a new resident of Wilmington (yay!!)... got inspired and headed out to Wrightsville Beach to do a beach clean up!!!  LOVE it!!!  Read her post about her beach clean up here: Making A Trip To The Beach Count
Now, that's some red lipstick!!!


20 minutes on March 7, 2011


Litter by weight: 5.8 oz
Cigarette butts: 76

A lot has changed since September.
Total amount of cigarette butts removed from Wrightsville Beach, NC in 48 days:
14,861

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Danielle.
    I read your post about the cigarette butts back when you had originally posted it. I smoked for 17 years, but have not for almost 4 now. That's the first step -- Sara @ The Daily Ocean worked with some children on one of her posts and their solution: just don't do it.
    Kate @ http://www.katesconsideredlife.blogspot.com/ passed your blog along to me this morning. I just made a post about Milo and his "Straw Free" initiative.
    I would be honored if you would add me to your list -- I am going to put your site on mine.
    Thanks for doing what you do!
    David

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey David!!

    I was so happy when Sara shared that the teacher of that class had shared the film and the kids had the best solution: just don't do it. So simple, but yet so hard for many to do. So.. high 5 for taking the first step and keeping it up for (almost) 4 years!!

    Love the synchronicity of our blogposts... :)

    Ok... off to check out more of your blog!! :D

    Danielle

    ReplyDelete