Sunday, December 8, 2013

Our Daily Ocean: Day 222


I didn't plan on going to the beach on Saturday morning.  But as I was driving home from taking my kids to their marine science class... I knew that-- even though I had forgotten to bring my jacket (turns out it was so nice I didn't need it) and I didn't have my beach cleanup bags (no problem, I always have some reusable bags in my car)--  I couldn't pass up a 70 degree morning at the beach.
 It was another perfect morning at the beach.  With an impending weather change, my oldest son and I  had the beach to ourselves except for the occasional runner passing through.  With how nice the weather has been lately, I've really been expecting to find more litter during our 20 minute cleanups... but that hasn't been the case.  That makes me happy.
 A year ago, I was visiting my friend Sara in Santa Monica to celebrate her completing her 365th The Daily Ocean beach cleanup.  It was a great time and it's really so hard to believe that a year has passed so quickly.  In 8 months, I hope to complete my 365th beach cleanup.  As of now, I have 143 cleanups to go.  Yeah, it's a lot.  But I'm not going to let the idea overwhelm me.  I have a goal in mind and every chance I have to get to the beach, I will.  I don't stress... everything happens as it should, when it should.
UPDATE:  On my 212th beach cleanup, I noticed that the Oceanic restaurant had what appeared to be an employee break area under the pier that was littered with lots and lots of cigarette butts.  I took the time to contact Mayor Cignotti and Alderman Sisson regarding the issue.  I'm thankful that they along with WB Town Manager Tim Owens responded to my concerns and fixed the problem.  :)

Remember that your voice matters.  Use it.
20 minutes on December 7, 2013 at Access 36
Litter by weight: 14.2 oz
Cigarette butts: 48

Total amount of cigarette butts removed from Wrightsville Beach, NC in 222 days:
57,188


2 comments:

  1. Great message Danielle. So often we think it won't help if we speak up. But on the heels of Nelson Mandela, this message is especially important that we CAN make a difference. It starts with each of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great post! keep up the meaningful work. <3

    ReplyDelete