Tuesday, December 31, 2013

2013: Back to Me

In years past, I have set goals... resolutions if I may... that focus on the things that I want to do for this world.  It's completely natural for me to think about what I can do for others through sharing my experiences, promoting, donating and volunteering.  As 2012 was ending, I began thinking about all that had been accomplished including the passing of the Wrightsville Beach smoking ban and then my decision to step away from volunteering for my local chapter of Surfrider....

.... and I said to myself "I need to get back to me." 


As soon as I thought the words "back to me" I knew I had to listen to myself.  I often say really random things that create major focus in my life.  Like the summer of 2010 when I was in Santa Monica and I thought, "I think I can help get smoking banned on Wrightsville Beach."  I've learned that when I have these random thoughts that bring me immediate clarity that I have to go with it.  



Now 2013 wasn't about stepping away from everything that I do... I just found myself so engulfed in being part of a movement that I somewhat got swept away in it all.  From 2010 to 2012 was like being on a roller coaster.... and it was an awesome ride and I savored every moment.  I've learned so much about who I am and what I am capable of doing over these past couple of years that now I don't have to be about the movement, I can just be me.

2013 was the year that I refocused my energy back to me (before I was the "Mom who picks up cigarette butts")








From 2013 and moving forward...

It's about yoga.  Creating insight, growth, strength, clarity... focus.

It's about beach cleanups without expectations or frustrations.

It's about dance.  I'm currently taking ballet, contemporary and hip hop a 3 hours a week.  Reminding myself that it's ok not to be 20, but I can still do this.

It's about expanding my knowledge.  I'm learning to speak Spanish!  Yo no llevo zapatos. ;-P




It's about reading. This year, I got lost in books.  My partial 2013 book list:  Buscaglia's Living, Loving & Learning & Love, Plenty, Shine Shine Shine, Being Wrong, The Miraculous Journey of Edward Toulane, Love Water MemoryAll Natural, all 6 novels by Emily Giffin, The Hunger Games Series, and I'm finishing the year off on book 3 of the Harry Potter series.

And, I'll be starting 2014 reading Swimming at Night.



It's about believing in me.  I have something to offer.  I have knowledge worth sharing.  This past spring, I visited Island Montessori School and talked to a very enthusiastic group of preschool students about the beach and how we can help take care of it.  I'm currently serving on the board of directors of my local cooperative food market, Tidal Creek.  I also shared my knowledge and experience on plastic-free living with Beth Terry and Bonnie Monteleone as part of Greensboro "No Impact Week" and at a special presentation at UNCW.

Beth Terry @ UNCW March, 2013 from Seven Season Films on Vimeo.

It's about being inspired by this great big beautiful world we live in and letting that inspiration be a spark to do more....

 


  2013 was just what I needed... now it's time to keep moving forward.  Growing, learning, volunteering, dancing, reading, finding inspiration, believing, making a difference... and always remembering to take time to refocus.

Wishing you all a 2014 as a year for you to believe in all you have to give this world, for you to be stronger than you knew you could be, to see the good, to accept what is... what isn't and what could be... 




1 comment:

  1. happy new year danielle! i love your blog post….beautiful words and photos!
    definitely a beach cleanup soon~ maybe today?
    it is a gift to know you :)
    xo

    ReplyDelete