Monday, December 30, 2013

Our Daily Ocean: Day 227


There is a story on the beach.  Embedded in the sands.  Flowing in (and out) with the tides.  Stories of what once was, what is... and in some cases what shouldn't be.
With the coming of the new year, this is the time to look back yet be present in the now while also looking to the future.  A lot can change in a year and while we can't go back... we can always learn from where we have been to help us expand and evolve with each new day.  In 2014, I will complete this project of documenting and collecting.  I don't know what the year ahead holds.... I'm making plans and yet remaining open to possibilities. 
At the end of my yoga class on Sunday, we were read this quote from Ralph Waldo Emerson and I felt like it was the perfect thing to hear this time of year... 

Write it on your heart
that every day is the best day in the year.
He is rich who owns the day, and no one owns the day 
who allows it to be invaded with fret and anxiety.
Finish every day and be done with it.
You have done what you could.
Some blunders and absurdities, no doubt, crept in.
Forget them as soon as you can, tomorrow is a new day;
begin it well and serenely, with too high a spirit 
to be cumbered with your old nonsense.
This new day is too dear, 
with its hopes and invitations, 
to waste a moment on the yesterdays.

20 minutes on December 30, 2013 at Access 28
Litter by weight: 2.4 oz
Cigarette butts: 21
Total amount of cigarette butts removed from Wrightsville Beach, NC in 227 days:
57,369

2 comments:

  1. that poem by Emerson is EXACTLY what I started my year off with too! I just watched your video and applaud you for your efforts. My resolution this year is to DO BETTER - and one of the big things I'm going to focus on is to reduce single use items in my life (I'd like to say eliminate but that's not realistic). I've started a blog too, to share ideas and keep myself accountable. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do better... I LOVE that Carla! I always say that I'm not striving for perfection, I'm just striving for better (it's completely attainable and makes such a difference) :)

      Personally, having a blog is a great way to keep myself committed and accountable for my actions... I hope you find the same in having your blog.

      Thank you for taking the time to comment and the compliments :) happy 2014 :)

      Delete