Friday, December 6, 2013

Our Daily Ocean: Day 221

When the forecast is mid-70's in December.... I squee with excitement and then I make every effort to get to the beach as much as possible.  Warm air, blue skies, salt air, bare feet, sandy toes...  a perfect day.
My kids and I spent the morning into the early afternoon soaking in the warmth at Wrightsville Beach with our friends.  Our morning was filled with sandcastles, a barefoot walk to lunch, and good conversation.  Just before we had to say good-bye to our perfect December beach day... my friend Rachel and I did a 20 minute beach cleanup.

I met Rachel a couple of years ago while I was checking out at Tidal Creek Co-op.  Rachel noticed my glass jars (that I use for bulk foods) and started a conversation.  A conversation that still continues and evolves as Rachel has also taken on the commitment to use less plastic.  While we were talking at the beach, she asked me how I talk to people about plastics without sounding naggy.  ... I wish I had some amazing advice to give... but the truth is... all we can all do is lead by example and share our experiences.  Give each other time to find our own way.  Inspire change.  

Be a spark.

20 minutes on December 6, 2013
Litter by weight: 10.3 oz
Cigarette butts: 118

Total amount of cigarette butts removed from Wrightsville Beach, NC in 221 days:
57,140

1 comment:

  1. So that's where our heat went... you guys got it. Thanksgiving was warm enough for flip flops and short sleeves. But this week has been close to freezing every day. Not liking it! But glad you guys are having fun!

    ReplyDelete