Saturday, October 26, 2013

Our Daily Ocean: Day 212

Lately whenever I do beach cleanups near the one of the two piers at Wrightsville Beach, I can't help but imagine the "No Surfing Signs" with the words "No Smoking" instead.  ;)
Since I did this beach clean up at our adopted beach access 36, I took the time to walk under Crystal/Oceanic Pier.  I was happy to not find any littered straws... however, I was extremely disappointed to see that Oceanic has one of their pier dining chairs under the pier and around it were more cigarette butts than I cared to count (or pick up).
Since Wrightsville Beach has a smoke-free beach ordinance... I'm surprised and a bit irritated at what appeared to be an Oceanic restaurant employee smoke-break area on the beach. ... which means that two Wrightsville Beach ordinances are being ignored: no smoking and no littering on Wrightsville Beach.
A friend of mine once said, "So here's the deal... if you want good karma... learn to take care of yourself and your daily needs without making other people work harder than they have to.  When you leave a place you have rested, clean up your space and leave no trace.  And be sure to show gratitude by giving back what was never yours to begin with."

Love where you live.  Love where you travel.  Love wherever you are... 
and take care of what you love.


20 minutes on October 22, 2013 at Access 36
Litter by weight: 2 lbs 6.2 oz
Cigarette butts: 62

 Total amount of cigarette butts removed from Wrightsville Beach, NC in 212 days:
56,493

No comments:

Post a Comment