Thursday, December 19, 2013

Our Daily Ocean: Day 224

At least once a week, my kids and I have gotten into a nice habit of going to the library and then to Wrightsville Beach to do a quick beach cleanup before we head to Tidal Creek Coop to do our grocery shopping.  It's a great routine for us because it creates a nice flow for our day.  

...And so it was, Wednesday morning we fell right into our perfect routine....
I think I like our routine so much because we start at the library borrowing books, then go clean up litter at the beach and end by doing our nearly plastic-free grocery shopping.  Conscious living with what feels like so little effort... but it wasn't always like that.  I used to buy books instead of borrow.  I used to go to the beach just to "go to the beach".  And, I used to not think about plastic and shop at chain grocery stores.  But I changed.  Little by little, things I read translated to things I did...

I am grateful for change.
Did you know that I haven't used a plastic straw in over 3 years?  Before then, I refused straws when I remembered but wasn't fully committed with my "no straw please" mantra.... it took me picking up straw after straw after straw at the beach before I finally said "No More Straws" for our family.  We all (yes, even my 3 kids) happily go without by requesting "no straws" when we eat out and carry our GlassDharma smoothie straws with us when we go out for shakes or smoothies.  Learn more about GlassDharma glass straws at their website.  But, if you're local... Tidal Creek Coop carries GlassDharma straws!
20 minutes on December 18, 2013 at Access 16
Litter by weight: 1.5 oz
Cigarette butts: 32

Total amount of cigarette butts removed from Wrightsville Beach, NC in 224 days:
57,283

No comments:

Post a Comment