Monday, January 7, 2013

Our Daily Ocean: Day 173

Saturday was an especially amazing and fun day at Wrightsville Beach.  There were wispy cirrus clouds painted across the bluest of blue skies and the air was crisp and cool.  As my two boys and I walked south along the beach, they took advantage of the winter beach erosion and spent their time climbing up and jumping off the sand "cliffs"... nature's playground.


And while my boys played, another one of the most beautiful and awe inspiring natural phenomenons was taking place-- sundogs.  The first time I saw a sundog, I called it a fragment of a rainbow.  Over the years, I have viewed these little fragments as a metaphor for life: a reminder that rainbows are always there... we just have to be in the right place to see them.

On Saturday, I saw sundogs everywhere... I even saw a nearly complete halo of color circling the sun... And after I finished my beach clean up, I sat down on a park bench, let my head fall back and the sky smiled at me.... begging me to ask the question: What does it mean???  


To which I can only answer:  

We live in a great big beautiful world.... and it's worth protecting.

20 minutes on January 5, 2013 at Access 18
Litter by weight: 6 oz
Cigarette butts: 116
Total amount of cigarette butts removed from Wrightsville Beach, NC in 173 days:
53,842 

4 comments:

  1. I've followed your blog for quite a long time, but I don't think I have ever left a comment. This entry today, though, was so touching (it had me in tears) that I couldn't not leave it without saying thank you. Our world truly is precious and sometimes we all need that reminder to keep caring and doing our part, even when it seems so insignificant. So, thank you.
    ~Melissa~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa... I can't tell you how much I appreciate you right now. For following, reading, being moved to comment... and connecting... it means SO much to me. (my words are completely lacking at this moment).

      thank you for making my heart smile.

      Danielle

      Delete