Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Our Daily Ocean: Day 172

Well, hello 2013.  It's a new year and because so much has happened and so many things have changed since this time last year... I'm finding myself super reflective.  I guess that's what New Years is about... reflecting on our past to guide us as we move to the new.  Reminding ourselves who we were, who we are and who we could be.  My head is filled with optimism and hope... a new year brings a new perspective. 
This year, Wrightsville Beach will usher in the implementation of North Carolina's first smoke-free beach.  Very BIG deal.  Successful implementation means there will be fewer littered cigarette butts on Wrightsville Beach!  I'm so excited!  I look forward to seeing a change and helping raise awareness about the new ordinance.  ...and as I reflect back, I can't stop smiling because I was part of something big.  I helped create change because I believed... because I had hope.  Because I read the words "You are the difference" and I believed it.
So let me remind you (as I do every new year) 

You are the difference.

Pass it on.  Everything we do matters.




20 minutes on January 1, 2013 at Access 42
Cigarette butts: 271
Plastic caps: 27
Total amount of cigarette butts removed from Wrightsville Beach, NC in 172 days:
53,726

2 comments:

  1. Happy 2013 Danielle! Thank you for the new year's inspiration, and for having hope!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Danielle, thank you for this! Very true - You are the difference! Using this the first photo with a quote from Jean Anouilh about accepting ourselves as we are.

    ReplyDelete