Friday, August 26, 2011

Our Daily Ocean: Day 90

For the past couple of days, I have been paying close attention to the hurricane models tracking Hurricane Irene.  I want to go ahead and thank everyone for the kind messages of concern and wishes for our family to be safe during the storm.  We were at Wrightsville Beach last night and could see the first signs of Irene in the form of clouds and some light wind gusts.  As the storm approaches, this is one time that I will say, "Thankfully we don't live on the beach."
Speaking of hurricanes... I can't go any further without sharing this super funny Weather Channel commercial that was filmed at Wrigthsville Beach.  If you're not familiar with Jim Cantore, he's the guy that always shows up when the weather is going to be bad...


With the hurricane swirling in our direction, there's a bit of nervous excitement in the air.  Yes, storms are scary, but it's also exciting.  Like the changing of the seasons, it's exciting to see the power of nature at work.  BUT... even with how powerful nature is... she can't overcome everything.  Found this Dasani plant-- made with 30% plant product to make you think you're doing something good for the environment-- bottle.  If you don't know already... the "plant" bottle is plastic through and through.... and NOT biodegradable.
While not as busy as normal, Wrightsville Beach had its share of visitors last night.  With the larger than normal waves, the ocean was filled with surfers and the beach full of onlookers armed with cameras!  I was there to catch a glimpse of the before the storm and will go back shortly after to see what the ocean decides to spit out and uncover.
Every bit of litter we found last night was at the wrack line.  Most often the litter we found was buried under a pile of organic debris.  Kick over the wrack line and you'll find bits of plastic, bottle caps, and cigarette butts.  Wet.... being washed out and being washed back in... 

20 minutes on August 25, 2011 at Access 39


Litter by weight: 1 lb 9.1 oz
Cigarette butts: 176

Total amount of cigarette butts removed from Wrightsville Beach, NC in 90 days:
27,411

3 comments:

  1. I love your work.
    I follow your blog for a month or so.
    The next time i will go to the beach i will take a bag with me for trace.

    When i look at your pictures.
    I see a lot of child sand playing stuff.

    I'm wondering why parents do not learn their childeren that they have to take them home for the next visit.


    Greetings,
    Dieuwertje

    Sorry for my bad English.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dieuwertje :)

    I do find a lot of sand toys at the beach. A good deal are broken... unwanted things easily get left behind. But we do find toys that are in perfect condition, so it's my thinking most often leaving the beach is as big as a production as getting onto the beach with kids: chairs, toys, bags, towels, food, kids... in the flurry of leaving the beach the parents most likely tell their kids to grab their toys and stuff gets missed (or the kids aren't sure which toys are theirs?). It's a shame, but my kids really appreciate the "free toys" ;)

    I'm happy that you're going to take a bag with you to the beach next time... and I see that you MAKE bags! LOVE them!! They are gorgeous.. stylish... and cool by the way :)

    Thank you so much for commenting... your English is just fine!! :)

    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Danielle,

    I love to send you one of my bags.
    Please contact me.

    Let me now your favorite colour and i will make you one.

    dieuwertje(@)thesparkle(dot)de



    Greetings,
    Dieuwertje

    ReplyDelete