Thursday, August 18, 2011

Our Daily Ocean: Day 87

Have you ever stopped to think about your connection to things?  Ever since I started documenting these 20 minute clean ups... I can't help but connect myself to the litter we find on Wrightsville Beach.
Besides the cigarettes, I can honestly say that I've used most everything that we found on the beach last night.  Bottled water? Yup. Straws. Who hasn't! Juice pouches, fruit snacks, granola bars, plastic spoons, sandwich bags... they've all passed through my hands.  
What's great about having realized our personal connection is that it has given us the opportunity to make positive changes.  Every time I would connect to something we found at the beach, I suddenly felt accountable for the products I used.  And rightfully, I should... even if I never littered a day in my life.  (But who am I kidding even with the best of intentions... accidents happen.)

 I connect myself to this... do you?  How are you connected?




20 minutes on August 17, 2011 at Access 16

Cigarette butts: 370

This was my two sons' bucket.  Together they collected 173 cigarette butts.
Total amount of cigarette butts removed from Wrightsville Beach, NC in 87 days:

26,715

6 comments:

  1. We're all connected - to each other, the trash in the ocean, the toxins in the landfill, to unspoiled nature, to everything. Finding this connection is one of the great gifts of environmentalism, I think. Thank you for spreading the word!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danielle, I am panicking some days. What can we do? We are a tiny army fighting against billions. Is there hope? The people in power who are the ones who should fight to make changes are silent, oblivious to the problem. Can we make a difference? Should we do more? What?

    I try on my own, reduce the plastic, clean up beaches, trying to inspire people, but what about third world countries? Or even the States for that matter.

    How can we use our sense of helplessness to make a change?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your Blog Danielle and thank you for all you do and the awareness you are bringing and change you are making.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Desi! I definitely agree...Finding connection is one of the greatest gifts of environmentalism! ...it's really helped me with my spider phobia! ;)

    shellb: Thank you so much for the compliment :)

    Laura, I've been thinking about your comment for the past couple of days... it can be very overwhelming at times...the feeling of helplessness can get so strong amidst all of the things that are wrong in our world. There is so much that needs to change and it's true that we can't do everything. But just because we can't do/change everything doesn't mean we can't do/change something. Little by little we make a difference and really that's all that matters :) I don't feel helpless because I do what I can do...I feel like every time we speak up/ pick up/ change ourselves we are sending out a ripple of hope :) Mother Teresa said, "Do not wait for leaders; do it alone, person to person." We can do this... together :)

    When I feel overwhelmed, I repeat this quote:

    "I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do". ~Edward Everett Hale

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your blog! Keep up the good work! :)

    ReplyDelete