Saturday, August 20, 2011

Our Daily Ocean: Day 88

Every time I go out to the beach to pick up litter... I think.  I think about the fact that I've been picking up the same litter and taking the same photos for the past year.  I wonder if I have anything to say... do I have anything more to contribute??  Is it possible to say anything that I haven't already said??

I find most often that I repeat myself over and over again.  Cigarettes are nasty, straws suck, plastic bags blow... rethink, reduce, reuse... plastic is forever.  Any other ones?  I'm ok repeating myself.   I'll keep repeating myself just to make sure that I don't miss any opportunities to help create change...
For the record, an "Eco-Slim" smaller cap may equal less plastic... but it's STILL plastic.  Don't be fooled by the touts of greenness... the cap has nothing to do with being "eco" or green.  To truly be an eco-consicous, green consumer say "Adios"... "Au Revoir"... "Sayonara" to bottled water and use a reusable water bottle filled with tap water.  Don't like the way tap water tastes??  Easy fix: Get a filter :)

Shifting gears....

Back in July, I volunteered with Cape Fear Surfrider for Barefoot Wine & Bubbly's Beach Rescue at Wrightsville Beach.  I had a really great opportunity to chat with Barefoot about my efforts at WB and they have been so kind to share what I'm doing with the Barefoot community!  Check out their blogpost here: Getting 'Butts' Off The Beach
A month from today, Barefoot Wine & Bubbly will present the film "One Beach"... it'll play all day on Facebook.  Yes, I totally think it's worth watching.  It's a film about creativity, optimism, and fun at work around the world keeping our beaches barefoot friendly.



What happens when the world comes together??  I like that thought ;)

20 minutes on August 20, 2011 at Access 25
Litter by weight: 2 lbs 6.5 oz
Cigarette butts: 280
Missing from this photo is one Nike tennis shoe, a sock, and a styrofoam cup. oops!
Total amount of cigarette butts removed from Wrightsville Beach, NC in 88 days:
26,995

No comments:

Post a Comment