Tuesday, July 6, 2010

A Recipe for Laundry

It's been 5 months since my laundry went detergent-free. YAY!! Before switching to the chemical-free laundry ball, I used to wash my laundry with liquid detergent that was free of perfumes and dyes. BUT, not free from a plastic bottle. :(


One of the main reasons that I made the switch in how I do my laundry is the packaging... especially with liquid detergent. So if you're wanting to make a change in what you use to wash your laundry and are a little hesitant about doing your laundry sans detergent...


Then you definitely need to say "Hello!" to my friend Joey... this is her fairytale ;)

"Once upon a time ago, I married the cheapest man in the world. No complaints! His cheapness allows me to be a Domestic Engineer staying home with our three children. It also has me constantly looking for ways to spend less money on the items we all need daily. Cleaning products and laundry soaps are something we all must use and when you purchase them you end up with their containers. The city in which we live has a recycling program, however, it's very limited. Before I began making my own cleaning products, I had numerous containers collected waiting to be driven to another city for recycling. After a while it became overwhelming. So many plastic bottles, so much waste! Finally, I had enough.

Enough of the spending, enough of the waste!

I asked my dad to bring me a bucket as he is the "King of Used Buckets." (I'm not sure what ours was previously used for, but we're using it now!!) When the bucket isn't being used for mopping floors, I make this:


Laundry Soap:
This recipe makes 5 gallons

Ingredients:

Hot Water (will total 5 gallons)
1/2 cup Washing Soda (can be found in the laundry aisle of any grocery store)
1/4 cup Borax
1
bar soap (if you buy bar soap in bulk--to keep it from drying out-- be sure to store in air tight container)
1 to 2 cup(s) Baking Soda (acts as a softener)
Fragrance oil, such as: lavender, linen, rosemary, tea tree, or any fragrance oil you desire! (optional)


  • Grate bar of soap into a large sauce pan with hot water. Stir over medium heat until soap dissolves and melts completely.
  • Fill 5 gallon pail half full of HOT water. Add melted soap, Borax & washing soda. Stir until all powder is dissolved.
  • Top pail off with more hot water to a total of 5 gallons.
  • Add 10-15 drops fragrance oil if you'd like!

To use:
  • One cup* per load, stirring/shaking before each use. (*for standard washing machine)

For storing the laundry soap and homemade cleaners, we reuse gallon milk jugs** with "Mr. Yuck" stickers that the doctor's office gives out. Safety first!!


This is one of the websites I refer to when making homemade cleaners: http://www.thefamilyhomestead.com/homemadehouseholdcleaners.htm

Remember just like any other recipe, you can adjust the ingredients to your liking!"



**If you're finishing up a bottle of liquid laundry detergent... save it and reuse it for homemade laundry detergent!

Oh yes, and if you haven't already... check out: Hangin' Out

1 comment:

  1. I cannot wait to try this! It looks so easy to make. As I did monstrous loads of laundry this weekend, I kept thinking "oh I can't wait for this detergent to run out!!!"

    ReplyDelete