Thursday, February 18, 2010

Detergent-Free Laundry!!!

Back in December, a friend sent me something about magnets that clean your laundry and while I was completely baffled... I was also intrigued by the idea... AND...I SO wanted to believe in it.  I sent the info onto my husband who quickly told me "no way."  I pressed the subject...because I thought it would be SO amazing to not have to use laundry detergent... but he stood strong.  Then... as if by fate... I was reading the reusablebags blog, where the opening sentence was:

"When I told my husband we were considering adding a product to use instead of chemical-laden laundry detergent packaged in wasteful plastic containers he said, "This might be where I draw the line on your hippy environmental stuff." I laughed, but I understood where he was coming from."

I was immediately sucked in... I could hear all of the words coming out of my mouth.  It was "so" me.  I read the entire blog post and sent it onto my husband (and Mom).  I waited for a response from my husband... knowing full and well that he was going to tell me "no way" or laugh at me being SO naive.  BUT, much to my surprise, he came home at lunch and asked me when I was going to order the laundry stuff???!!!  I honestly thought that he was joking or testing me.  BUT... he said, "If it works then great, if it doesn't... you can send it back, right?"

So, on my last drops of detergent and fabric softener, I immediately placed my order through reusablebags.com for the chemical-free laundry ball and a set of dryer balls with a jar of fragrance sticks.  (I also ordered some other reusable products including new water bottle lids, and 3 oz airline approved tubes for my upcoming trip to LA.)  So... when my package arrived... I was so excited!!  I can honestly say that I really dislike doing laundry... with a family of five... it's never ending... but for the first time... I kid you not... I was so excited to get a load going!!

I waited... a little excited and nervous... for the first load to finish washing.  And when it did, I pulled out the wet clothes and smelled them.  AND... they smelled CLEAN!!  Of course, that's what I was hoping for... but I kept telling myself that it just might not.  Then after I dried the clothes, I smelled them again.  I just want to make sure that my desire to use less resources... isn't clouding my judgement ;) Needless to say, my nose has smelled A LOT of laundry these past 2 weeks!!  The good news is that after 2 weeks of using NO laundry detergent or fabric softener... everything smells SO clean (and static free)!!  Even though I totally wanted to believe in it... I'm honestly really amazed that it actually works!!  AND it lasts 700 washes!!  For real.

Obviously, I'm completely ecstatic about this for a number of reasons.  No products going into the water... no plastic bottles... no truck to deliver the plastic bottles filled with soaps to the store... no driving to the store to get more!!

So the other night, my Mom told me that she ordered her reusable laundry products!!!  And told me that she was going to get her neighbor to buy them too... create a "ripple" of her own!!  YAY!!

5 comments:

  1. Nice! I've been using Charlie's Soap and dryer balls which has worked well, but new ideas and products are always great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, true test... Are you still using these? I saw your comment on the reusable bags site and I think I'm almost sold on ordering these products but I wanted to see if you are still excited about them and still using them...
    Thanks!
    thatdana@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use Robby Balls that are good for 120 loads of laundry and I truly had a hard time believing that they can replace laundry detergent for 120 loads, but I keep checking clothing for both stains and odor and there is NONE! I am a disbeliever that is now a believer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been thinking about my laundry lately. I switched from the concentrated liquid detergent in a plastic bottle to a big cardboard container of baking soda laundry detergent that comes with a little plastic scooper and is supposed to last 47 loads.

    My question is...do you still use these as your laundry method? And do the balls and stain stick just go in the trash afterwards or are they recyclable?

    Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey domorefeelgood!

    I do still use the laundry ball and dryer balls. Your question about whether or not it's recyclable got me thinking... I bought it with the intention that I would just refill it (without thinking about "how" I would refill it)...so the truth is I don't know. bummer. It works, but your question is really really making me think!! (thank you) Tip: Beth Terry (My Plastic Free Life) uses soap nuts. Not sure where she gets them, but check out this website: www.buysoapnuts.com

    The dryer balls work fab... that is when I use my dryer. I usually hang my clothes out on a clothesline.. except for things that would need to be ironed. :) <---I have some kind of phobia (ha!) to an iron!!

    For stain stick, I use a product called Fels-Naptha. It's a bar soap... and I've had it for around 8 years! It really works and lasts a LONG time (obviously!) :)

    Thanks so much for reading and commenting... and I really appreciate the compliment :)

    ReplyDelete