Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Our Daily Ocean: Day 208

The past couple of weeks, I have been rocking out beach cleanups and moving forward with my goal to complete this beach cleanup project late next summer.  BUT... With rain and having a rib out (OUCH!) last week, I didn't make it to the beach once!  
So I'm working on getting back into the swing of things... and on Sunday, my husband and I did our first cleanup together in a very long time!  Turns out that even after him taking a long break in picking up litter on the beach... he still has an eye for it.  Though... good news!.... once again, there wasn't much to find! 
Interesting/disturbing fact:  During the 2013 International Coastal Cleanup... volunteers removed 958,893 caps/lids!  That's 958,893 times that people had the opportunity to do the right thing and instead way too many times that people got it wrong.  It makes me wonder why with all the data for just one day, that this whole Ocean Conservancy ICC hasn't become a HUGE catalyst for creating major change especially when it comes to extended producer responsibility.  Hmmm... 

Curiosity is ruling me right now.  
20 minutes on October 13, 2013 at Access 23
Litter by weight: 1.1 oz
Cigarette butts: 41
Total amount of cigarette butts removed from Wrightsville Beach, NC in 208 days:
56,108

No comments:

Post a Comment