Sunday, October 6, 2013

Our Daily Ocean: Day 206

My family and I were supposed to go camping this weekend... but, with the government shutdown and subsequent closure of national parks and forests (humph) we rescheduled our plans for another weekend.  So on Thursday, instead of sitting around a campfire at our new favorite campsite, we hung out at our favorite spot at Wrightsville Beach.

Of course, we did a beach clean up.  And what is seeming to be the norm for my most recent beach cleanups... there wasn't much to pick up.
What there was a lot of on the beach were jellyfish.  Moon jellies to be exact.  They were washing up onto the sand as we walked and played.  My kids kept yelling, "Look!  Mom!  Plastic!"  ...and then they would laugh as if they had tricked me.  But then something amazing happened.  My youngest son picked up a small moon jelly up and threw it back into the ocean.

Then my daughter joined in.  And as we walked by a group of people and they saw what my kids were doing... they too got brave and with a t-shirt they picked up a jellyfish and threw it back into the ocean.  I felt like I was witnessing the starfish story with my very own eyes and it made me one proud mama.
20 minutes on October 3, 2013 at Access 39
Litter by weight: 7.3 oz
Cigarette butts: 41
Total amount of cigarette butts removed from Wrightsville Beach, NC in 206 days:
56,052

No comments:

Post a Comment