Monday, October 7, 2013

Our Daily Ocean: Day 207

Plastic.  It's the most ubiquitous type of litter that I find.   It doesn't matter if I pick up 10 pounds or less than an ounce of litter... plastic is always there.  From wrappers, to cigarette butts to wine corks and on... plastic is the number one thing I find over and over again.
In the early stages of doing consistent beach cleanups, it was this reality that pulled at me to create personal changes to use less plastic.  Starting then and continuing to my now... I continually ask myself 

"How can I be part of the solution?  How can I contribute and help solve this problem?"

One of the best ways I have found that I can contribute is by living by example.  Making changes to live using less plastics and in turn showing others what is possible.  Not long ago, my friend Beth and plastic-free hero asked me to write a post for her blog My Plastic-Free Life on how I ask for what I want.  Take a peak inside my refrigerator and pantry... and read how I speak up to use less plastic here: 

20 minutes on October 4, 2013 at Access 25
Litter by weight: .7oz
Cigarette butts: 15
Total amount of cigarette butts removed from Wrightsville Beach, NC in 207 days:
56,067

2 comments:

  1. Do you ever find yourself cringing at the irony of the trash you pick up? The Barefoot wine cork has me baffled (given their partnership with Surfrider Foundation for a CLEAN BEACH), so here's a question (that I ask myself a lot): how do you lead by example when people just aren't paying attention?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh Ryan... ALL the time! The first time I found a barefoot wine cork... I cringed because I felt torn. They had written a nice blogpost about me... and they have a partnership with Surfrider... yes, it baffles me that they have plastic wine corks (or should that be called a stopper or something instead?!)... but they don't only sponsor beach cleanups they educate about plastic pollution (remember "One Beach"? Talk about an inspiring video!). And you know a lot could be said about Surfrider. As much as RAP is preached, they still sell plastic water bottles with their logo emblazoned on them (amongst other things). :/

      So... to your question. I lead by example even when people aren't paying attention... because it's the right thing to do. And because as many times as I'm in the middle of it thinking that no one is noticing... I step back and find that I'm wrong. Sure maybe not everybody is paying attention, but somebody is. Maybe they're not in the 'I want to make some changes mode'... but they're observing and one day it will all click for them. Besides... I have 3 little somebodies that are always paying attention ;)

      Delete