On Saturday morning, we met up with our good friend Bonnie at Wrightsville Beach to participate in the Cape Fear Surfrider's Spring Surfer Sweep. Doing an organized beach clean up is a little different than when we do our 20 minute clean ups... with no time limit we casually stroll and stop to talk A LOT!! <--- apparently that's something that Bonnie and I are very good at! ;) Having gotten rain the day before (and not usually doing morning clean ups), I wasn't sure that there would be much to clean up on the beach. BUT... as usual... the litter was there. In fact, between our family and Bonnie, we picked up 3 lbs 4 oz of litter... which included 499 cigarette butts. I've added those 499 cigarette butts to the Community Count for Wrightsville Beach (check the totals out on the sidebar).
"More Than Resolutions" was to become a member of Surfrider. BUT... for our family becoming a member is more than just donating some $$. We want to make sure that we are actively involved in supporting and participating as much as we can. And why wouldn't we all?? Surfrider Foundation is dedicated to the protection and enjoyment of the worlds oceans, waves and beaches. That's something we all should be supporting.
High Five Facts about Surfrider:
- Rise Above Plastics: Surfrider is on a mission to reduce the impacts of plastics in the marine environment by raising awareness about the dangers of plastic pollution and by advocating for a reduction of single-use plastics and the recycling of all plastics. Cape Fear Surfrider has ditched handing out plastic garbage bags for clean ups. Instead, they're now using burlap bags!
- Not The Answer: Surfrider is opposed to any new off-shore drilling and strongly advocates for America to seek a comprehensive and environmentally sustainable energy plan that includes energy conservation. Save the date: Hands Across the Sand is June 25!
- The Cycle of Insanity: The Real Story of Water
- Surfrider SOUP: Surfrider's informative (and free!) e-newsletter with the latest environmental and coastal news. (Sign up at www.surfrider.org... in the top righthand corner.)
- Surfrider has kick ass apparel. Seriously. Looking for a "Ban The Bag" tee?? You'll find it here: Swell Surfrider Store
To learn more about how awesome Surfrider is... check out their website: www.surfrider.org