Saturday, May 28, 2011

Our Daily Ocean: Day 69

When I was a kid, I used to hide (and sometimes throw away) my mom's cigarettes.  It's true.  Thankfully, my mom got the hint and quit smoking somewhere around 20 years ago.  Speaking of 20.  A major milestone in the 20 minute clean ups has been reached...
We've officially passed the 20,000 mark.  YIKES!!  There was a time when I would have never thought that it was possible.  NOW... I wonder what's next??  How many more cigarette butts are we going to pick up??  I'll tell you how many.... as many as it takes for people to get the message.  And a reality that I've come to accept is that it could be thousands more...  
Maybe we'll hit 50,000?  Think about it.  It may have taken us 69 clean ups to pass the 20,000 mark, but-- since I started this project at the beginning of August-- the majority of those clean ups were done off-season.  In fact, 47 of the 69 clean ups were done between October and April.  Hmmm... during the filming of my FilterForGood Film, I had 11,332 cigarette butts.  Since December, we have added over 9,000 cigarette butts to the tally.  Seriously, I count them all and I can't get over it.  My brain is practically spinning.... and I can't help but wonder what the 2 busiest beach months will bring??    
*sigh*  A lot more of everything, that I am sure of.

20 minutes on May 27, 2011 at Access 29
Litter by weight: 3 lbs 9.1 oz
Cigarette butts: 658


Total amount of cigarette butts removed from Wrightsville Beach, NC in 69 days:
20,574

No comments:

Post a Comment