Monday, May 9, 2011

Our Daily Ocean: Day 61

After a long (and super fun) Mother's Day biking around Greenfield Lake, my husband asked me if I wanted to go to the beach to do a 20 minute clean up (and then get some ice cream)!  Yes please!  So after we ate dinner (at home... Mother's Day is too crazy to eat out!! ;) )... my husband grabbed his SUP, my kids grabbed their boogie boards, and I grabbed my buckets... and we hit the beach.
Since it was Mother's Day, I knew exactly where I wanted needed to go.  Access 36... Oceanic Restaurant.  The weather was absolutely perfect... that meant lots of people on the Oceanic dining pier.  "Oceanic is the only restaurant in Wrightsville Beach, NC situated on the beach overlooking the pristine Atlantic Ocean."  As I walked up to the pier, I started noticing straws.  Though I wasn't at all surprised.... I still couldn't stop shaking my head as I picked up straw after straw after plastic straw.
 I picked up 36 straws in 20 minutes!!!  AND... 28 of those 36 straws-- some clear, some black-- came from Oceanic.  78% of the straws that I picked up from Access 36 were there because of Oceanic's beach front dining.  *sigh*  There's something wrong with that.  Something NEEDS to change. 
I've written Oceanic suggesting some changes they could make such as: not using straws on the pier, switching to paper straws and the possibility of offering glass straws as an upgrade.  Hmmm.... it's my opinion (and it's a strong one!) that a restaurant such as Oceanic should take extra care in selecting the products they use.  It only makes sense that they help keep the main reason people dine at their restaurant... yeah... that's the location!... beautiful.  What do you think?  Contact Oceanic
Every time we do a 20 minute clean up, I share a photo of what we removed from Wrightsville Beach with Two Hands Project.  Two Hands Project is a simple concept that is spreading all over our world.  What's so great about sharing with Two Hands, is that there is such a great community of people taking little bits of time and making a big impact on our world.


Anyone can do it.  Anyone can inspire change.  Yes, even you. ;)  Thirty minutes, Two Hands. Clean up yOUR world anytime-- anywhere.  
20 minutes on May 8, 2011 at Access 36

Cigarette butts: 183
Two Hands. 20 minutes.
Total amount of cigarette butts removed from Wrightsville Beach, NC in 61 days: 
17,240

No comments:

Post a Comment