Sunday, December 5, 2010

Our Daily Ocean: Day 28

On Thursday, I went to the Wrightsville Beach Board of Aldermen meeting to listen to and support the recommendations of WB Cleaner Greener Committee.  I didn't get to stay for the whole meeting, but was really happy to hear that they showed my "Litter Awareness"  video during their presentation.... AND....  I am absolutely thrilled that the committee has recommended a "Smoke-free" beach to the BOA!!!
I'm super excited (and hopeful) about the possibility of a "smoke-free" beach... BUT... it's not a reality.  So, after seeing the article about the meeting in the Star News... I along with my husband both decided to write letters to the editor in support of Cleaner Greener WB's recommendations of a "Smoke-Free" beach!!  It was my very first letter to the editor!!  Check it out here!!!!

On Friday, I also talked to Wendé who's the City Manager of Solana Beach, California.  Did you know that Solana Beaches were the first beaches in California to ban smoking on the beach??  And they did that back in 2003!!  Talk about being a leader in California!!  If Wrightsville Beach were to adopt a "Smoke-Free" beach... it would be the first in North Carolina!!  That's a pretty big title to have.... "FIRST" :)  I can see the headlines now....
An old weathered butt... the paper is still attached, but the cellulose acetate fibers are starting to fray.

Today, my family and I went to Access 37...we picked up litter just up to the Oceanic Pier.  Since we always clean up under the pier when we visit Access 36, we made the decision that under the pier is part of Access 36 (as far as 20 minute clean-ups go anyway ;)).  Should I mention that it was 43˚ and windy at the beach today??  The only people that were on the beach were us, a couple with a photographer, and 2 people walking....
20 minutes on December 5, 2010
Cigarette butts: 231
Total amount of cigarette butts picked up off of Wrightsville Beach, NC in 28 days:

11,332

3 comments:

  1. OMG - how many? Thanks for caring and sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a lot of cigarette butts! In San Diego on Jan 15th, 2011... you would be able to trade these for roughly $22 cash or a donation towards several outdoor causes like Surfrider Foundation, Oceana, and The Ocean Conservancy to name a few. Yeah... cash for butts, crazy. http://www.ripplelife.org/butts ~cheers, Curtis

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Carol

    It's crazy right?!? I pick them up and I'm still astonished by how many we find. :)

    @ Curtis

    Love what you're doing.... as many as we find out here... we could give a pretty hefty donation to one of our favorite causes :) Thanks for sharing... I look forward to the day when I can donate all of the disgusting butts that I've collected!!!

    (hmm... are you only located on the west coast??? ;) )

    ReplyDelete