Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Our Daily Ocean: Day 14

After discovering that my project idea had been selected as a finalist in the Brita FilterForGood Film Project, I received a message from a local news station!!  AWESOME news!  They wanted to meet me at Wrightsville Beach for a 20 minute beach clean-up to do a story on my project!!  (Yes, the happy dances are still going strong!!)  Today at lunch, we went to Access 16 to meet Max from WECT!!


I decided that we should meet Max at Access 16 because I've only been there once and thanks to Johnny Mercer's Pier... it's one of the busiest spots on the beach.  Last time we visited Access 16, we headed right away from the pier... today we made a left and spent the majority of our time collecting litter from under the pier.

Cigarette butt put out and left in the sand right next to a pylon.
As usual, we found loads of cigarette butts and other various plastics.  Have YOU made the commitment to say "No Thank You" to straws??  Straws are one of the top 10 littered items worldwide... I find them all too often... from our hands to the sea...

By not accepting straws, other people will notice and then a ripple effect will start.... trust me... I've seen it happen....High 5 to my Mom and Aunts who have started to order their drinks with NO straws!!


SO... back to cigarette butts.  Straws may be one of the top 10 littered items worldwide... BUT cigarette butts take the cake with the #1 spot (this is not a good thing).  As Beth Terry commented on my project wall,


 "People who would never toss a plastic bottle on the ground often have no problem tossing a cigarette butt because they have no idea what it's made of." 

 It's true... people just aren't aware that cigarette filters are made from cellulose acetate (a type of plastic!!)... and they certainly aren't aware of this fact that I grabbed from The Bait Tank.


Cigarette butt litter is a problem in my community... they're a problem in your community... well... they're a problem everywhere!  Help me get my project made into a short film!  Vote every day until October 29!!  Our Daily Ocean: A Story of Butts  Please VOTE, SHARE and REMIND!!

20 minutes on October 12, 2010
Litter picked up by weight:  1 lb 3oz
Cigarette Butts:  451





Total amount of cigarette butts picked up off of Wrightsville Beach, NC in 14 days:
7,200
(In case you're wondering that calculates to us picking up almost 26 cigarette butts PER MINUTE!!)

1 comment:

  1. Your "Our Daily Ocean" is looking awesome! Such a bummer with how many butts you find, BUT your voice is really coming through on this blog, and it is wonderful to see/read. Keep it up! You're an inspiration!

    And you know I hope and know you will - win :)
    Sara

    ReplyDelete