Wednesday, November 11, 2009

What's 'It' All About?

The other day, my husband asked me how I became so environmental.  I thought long and hard about it and for the life of me couldn't come up with JUST one answer.  For me, it's like the questions: "What is love? or Why do you love me?"  Some questions cannot be answered with one word.

What I do know is that I'm a conscious person... I learn something and it sticks with me.  Being open to new ideas has changed my way of thinking dramatically over the years.  I didn't become the person I am today overnight.  This has all been a process... day by day... week by week... month by month... and sometimes year by year.  Sometimes I would wake up and be like, "I'm going to change (blank) this week."  And when I make a decision to change something... sometimes it's easy... other times I've flailed and it has taken months before it became second nature to me.  That said, some things are easier said than done... but it doesn't mean that they can't be done.  Believe in me when I say, "I'm still growing and evolving the way I think and do things."

Years ago, as I would walk into Target carrying my grocery bags, I started saying, "If it's going to start somewhere... It's going to start with me."  I would go into Target with my reusable bags and when I checked out I would bag my own items so as not to "put out" the cashier.  The cashiers just didn't get it (some still don't)... but I was OK with that because I knew that if just one person saw me carry in my bags, then just maybe they would bring their own bags next time and then maybe someone would see them and do the same.  By me just doing one simple thing, I had the opportunity to create a ripple effect.  Over the years,  simple changes in the way I do things and how they relate to our environment have became so ingrained in me and have rippled into other areas of my life, including friends, family and even people I've never met.

So... here I will share with you what I do, how I do it, and most importantly why.... maybe just maybe something you learn will connect with you.

Your ripple....

 It Starts With You.

1 comment:

  1. You are so genuine. I've noticed a change in responses from wait staff when I tell them I avoid using 1 time use plastic like straws. More and more people are getting it straws being an easy one to give up.

    ReplyDelete