Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Dust Bunnies

Everyone that knows me, knows that we have enough animals to be considered a small farm ;).  When I turned 17, Aaron gifted me a golden retriever (Buddy) for my birthday.  A year later, he surprised me with another (Belle) for Christmas.  Back then, the floors in our house were-- for the most part-- carpet.  Then we moved to Wilmington and the only places to find carpet were in the bedrooms.  Hardwood floors led way to what I jokingly referred to as "tumble weeds" of dog hair.  In order to curb this unsightly mess, I would have to Swiffer every day.  I say "Swiffer" because that was what I used to sweep my floors.  I'd go through boxes and boxes of those magical little sheets... covered in dog hair, dirt and sand... I would toss them one by one... ok, more like two by two into the trash.  Then we adopted/rescued a Great Dane.  More Swiffer sheets to be used.  More and more of those disposable sheets kept going into the trash.

Then one day... don't ask me why because I just don't know.... as I was "Swiffering", a thought popped into my head.  "What ever happened to those big mop things like they used in school??"  For some reason... I attribute it all to advertising... I believed that Swiffer was the only product that would truly get my floors dog hair, dust, and sand free.  I called my Mom to figure out what this mystery item was... turns out it's called a dust mop!!  That would be SO much more convenient than these little disposable sheets.  I started thinking about how wasteful the Swiffer was.... not only on the environmental aspect, but with the $$ aspect.  Essentially, I was throwing our money away to a landfill every time I swept.

SO... the next time I went to Target, I went to the cleaning aisle.  Amazed at what I found... they certainly don't put the Swiffer next to the reusable dust mops!!  I purchased a Scotch Brite dust mop and an extra microfiber cover, which I still use and reuse over and over again!!  That was somewhere around 7 years ago!!!

Do I ever miss the Swiffer?  Nope.  The dust mop works great and when I'm done sweeping... I shake it out and put it away... and when it's too filthy to pick up anything else... I throw it in the wash.  It's just as convenient as the Swiffer... maybe even more since I never have to think about buying another box of Swiffer sheets!!

Going to make the switch?  Before you toss out that Swiffer, check out how to make your Swiffer guilt free.

No comments:

Post a Comment