Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Package-Free Music

Before I start, let me just say that I struggled about whether or not I should even mention this... it seems like a no brainer.  But the more I thought about it... the more I'm reminded of friends and family that haven't made the switch.

It's been years since I've purchased a CD.  In fact, the last CD I purchased was Maroon 5's "It Won't Be Soon Before Long" back in 2006.  That's when I got my Ipod.  Now, I can't take credit for the idea.   I mainly never wanted an Ipod, because I'm not a techy person and I really liked CDs... I especially loved reading those booklets with all the lyrics as I listened to my newest purchases.  Also, when I put my CDs in my disc changer I would happily recycle the cases... or so I thought (most CD cases are made from PVC, which really isn't recyclable).

My husband had an Ipod long before he could convince me that they were super cool, more convenient, and more eco-friendly than purchasing CDs.  Eco-friendly... he knows is something that he can throw out and I pay attention.  I started thinking about it and came to the conclusion that he was right.  Buying music through Itunes (or any other digital download site) requires:

  • No production to make a CD
  • No cross country delivery to a store
  • No packaging: no cellophane wrapping a PVC case
  • No drive to a store
I'm sure there are lots of other benefits (... like bonus tracks), but those are the ones that stuck out to me :)  Basically, by choosing digital downloads over CDs, we save resources and so much more.

So....this morning, I woke up with a clear plan in mind.  I got the kids dressed, fed and once they were off to school... I opened Itunes, clicked "store" and downloaded John Mayer's newest release, "Battle Studies" while barefoot and in my PJs.

I LOVE my Ipod.

No comments:

Post a Comment