Sunday, October 28, 2012

Our Daily Ocean: Day 166

All day yesterday and early today, Hurricane Sandy was just off-shore.  Thankfully, our area was only hit with a lot of rain and some wind.  As usual, when a tropical system stirs up the ocean... it's a must to get to the beach and see what has been spit out and uncovered.  It's super exciting...

My kids main goal while at the beach was to look for seashells.  I had planned on that being my main goal as well, but I just couldn't force myself to walk past the litter that was poking out of the wrack line.

Out of everything I picked up in 20 minutes, I only picked up one thing that wasn't plastic.
I picked up plastic straws, plastic caps, plastic wrappers, styrofoam, plastic umbrella tips, plastic toys, broken plastic pieces... plastic plastic EVERYWHERE.  Humph  Please please please make a conscious effort to reduce the amount of plastics you use... your decisions matter! :)
This is plastic, not sea glass.


My friend Tracy also went to the same beach access today to look for seashells.  She text me right away with a picture of the wrack line and said, "I want to clean this."  She had forgotten to take a bag, but as it would be, she found a zip-lock bag at the beach and filled it with litter!  Lots and lots of plastic caps and 127 cigarette butts!  Thanks Tracy!!!! 
20 minutes on October 28, 2012 at Access 41
Litter by weight: 1 lb 3.8 oz
Cigarette butts: 45
Straws: 11
Caps: 39
Total amount of cigarette butts removed from Wrightsville Beach, NC in 166 days:
52,382

2 comments:

  1. I think what you are doing is a great way to help clean up everything. I love the pictures of the kids and the corona bottle. They all stand out stark against the beautiful background. It's so awesome how you are cleaning up the beach and making great art at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ellie,

      Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment with such a kind compliment :) You made me think about how much I'd love to have a art showing of photographs that I've taken at the beach.

      Danielle

      Delete