Saturday, October 13, 2012

Our Daily Ocean: Day 161

I got to Wrightsville Beach bright and early this morning... 9 is early, right? ;) to chat with Melanie (from Greensboro, NC) about plastic.  Before I got to sharing how I reduce the amount of plastic our family uses, recycles, and throws away... I started a quick beach clean up.
What's great about doing a beach clean up and talking about reducing plastic is that every time I bend over to pick up something... it's most always plastic.  Doing consistent beach clean ups has been a major catalyst in me focusing on how much plastic we as a family use and connecting our plastic use with the global problem of plastic pollution.
Easy ways to become part of the solution to plastic pollution:

  • Carry reusable shopping bags.  Take them everywhere from the grocery store to the mall.
  • Say adios! to bottled water (and other plastic packaged beverages)
  • When dining out request no straw in your drink (you can even request no disposables)
  • Carry a bag with reusables so you're not stuck using plasticware or styrofoam take-out containers
  • Instead of single serving products (juice boxes, granola bars, fruit cups, chips, etc), buy the larger size with less packaging or learn to make your own!  Check out my Plastic-Free Food 
  • Share what you're doing with others!  Do you have a tip on how you use less plastic?

Let's get drastic about reducing plastic... because in today already walks tomorrow.
20 minutes on October 13, 2012 at Access 16

Cigarette butts: 132
Straws: 4
Total amount of cigarette butts removed from Wrightsville Beach, NC in 161 days:
51,098



8 comments:

  1. Excellent work Danielle.....thank you for your dedicated efforts. Noah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Noah! Thank you for being a WB resident that is actively engaged in making WB a better beach town :)

      Delete
  2. So sad. I hate seeing all of those cigarettes on the beach. Thanks for the poignant post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It used to make me sad, but it's hard to be sad when I'm focused on helping create change ;)

      Delete
  3. I do all the above. I also take any used plastic bag I get my hands on, usually from my neighbors' recycling bins, and use them for my trash. I haven't brought a plastic bag home in probably two years.

    Keep up the hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What the....? This is just too much. Shame of multiflex for being so oblivious, clueless, or plain arrogant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree!! Some nerve of Multiflex to post a comment touting their products... Plastic crap if you ask me ;)

      Delete