Thursday, October 18, 2012

Our Daily Ocean: Day 163

When I got to Wrightsville Beach last night and looked at the time to start my 20 minute clean up, it was 6:37pm.  Sunset was at 6:34.  Knowing the amount of sunlight I had left was minimal, I didn't hesitate getting started... but then I realized I had to take the time to pause and look up.
With my eyes focused on the sand, I got to work picking up and sorting through the little bits of trash left on the beach.  As always, too many cigarette butts.  Since I was in Santa Monica recently and picked up only 9 cigarette butts in 20 minutes... the amount of cigarette butts we find on Wrightsville Beach has been weighing heavy on me.  This November (or now if you're voting early) registered voters of Wrightsville Beach will be able to vote FOR a referendum to help clean up Wrightsville Beach.  Need proof that smoke-free beaches work to reduce cigarette litter?  Here ya go:

80 beach clean ups-- 524 cigarette butts in Santa Monica
40 beach clean ups -- 9,436 cigarette butts in WB

Voting FOR the referendum is a vote FOR clean air and a clean beach!  Tell your friends!



20 minutes on October 17, 2012 at Access 29
Cigarette butts: 409

Total amount of cigarette butts removed from Wrightsville Beach, NC in 163 days:
51,556



2 comments:

  1. Hi D!!

    Love the beautiful pictures! One small oops is I've done 80 and you've done 40 cleanups since we started counting which makes the number of cigarette butts I've found in comparison to the overwhelming number you have that much more convincing that banning smoking is a good move for WB! :)

    Out there with you on the other side of the country and behind all you do!!

    xo
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA! You know I looked at that so many times and read it the right way! OOPS! Thank you for pointing it out... got it fixed!

    It's a HUGE difference that you've done 2x as many clean ups and I've picked up 18x the amount of cigarette butts!! :O CRAZY.

    ReplyDelete