Monday, September 3, 2012

Our Daily Ocean: Day 156

Well, it's official.  This 156th beach clean up is a DOUBLE milestone clean up!  Taking only 20 minutes whenever we visit Wrightsville Beach, we have managed to pick up over 300 lbs of litter AND remove over 50k littered cigarette butts from Wrightsville Beach!!
Now this wasn't accomplished by myself alone.  Nope.  Most beach clean ups, I'm joined by husband and three kiddos... and from time to time I'm joined by family and friends.  A HUGE thank you to everyone who has joined us for a 20 minute beach clean up at Wrightsville Beach to help us with this effort... I'm grateful for your willingness to help, the encouragement you give and most of all your friendships.

 Want to see who has helped us and when?  Go here.  And if you want to join us to do a 20 minute beach clean up at Wrightsville Beach, I'd love it!  Feel free to message me through Facebook  or drop me an email :)
Being that this blog was inspired by my good friend Sara's The Daily Ocean, I've taken the time to weigh all of the litter we pick up (minus large items like boogie boards and chairs).  Every beach clean up we do, Sara adds the weight to her Community Collection.  As of this clean up, we've added 300 lbs 14.6 oz to The Daily Ocean Community Count (which is now I believe over 1000 lbs!).  To learn more about The Daily Ocean Community Count Collection and to get involved.... go here.
Sara and I are also still doing our cigarette litter comparisons between our two beaches.  Just for a refresher, we started doing these comparisons to see what the difference would be between a smoke-free beach (Santa Monica) and a beach that still permitted smoking on the beach (WB).  Here's the most recent tally numbers: 

59 clean ups: 357 cigarette butts in Santa Monica
33 clean ups: 7,877 in Wrightsville Beach


One beach. 20 minutes at a time... 

We can make a huge difference in our world...
we have the ability to create change... 
we just have to be willing to try.

Let's try together.
20 minutes on September 2, 2012 at Access 26
Cigarette butts: 550
Straws: 10
Total amount of cigarette butts removed from Wrightsville Beach, NC in 156 days:
50,129

3 comments:

  1. Danielle!

    So grateful when I read this post. I love this collaborative effort between us, and am most especially for our friendship. You inspire me all the time. One beach cleanup at a time, one friendship at a time, we build community and create change and for the example you live, I am forever grateful!

    xo
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, that is truly amazing. And so terribly sad. You (and Sara) are an inspiration to keep this effort up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the amount of butts you collected blows my mind... that is unbelievable... also the difference in amount between your beach and Santa Monica... wauw! Sara and Danielle, you ladies inspire so many... keep up the good work! it's brilliant! greetings, Eef

    ReplyDelete