Friday, September 28, 2012

Our Daily Ocean: Day 159

When I stepped onto the beach on Wednesday, I immediately questioned my decision to do a beach clean up at 3:30 in the afternoon.  One thing that I haven't always been comfortable with is doing solo beach cleanups when there are lots of people at the beach.  Having to walk around and in between groups makes me feel awkward... undoubtedly someone will notice what I'm doing... watchful eyes... it's like having an audience.
Of course, I was committed to doing the beach clean up... and pressed on through my uncomfortableness.  About half way through my 20 minutes, I was making my way around a large group when I heard a voice: "How many cigarette butts have you picked up?"  I was about 6 feet away, so I stepped closer and said "a lot" and asked how he knew that's what I was doing (??).

His response:  Because that's what's here to pick up.

I ended up having a nice conversation with them about the cigarette litter problem at Wrightsville Beach... and I even learned that they had signed the petition for Smoke-Free Wrightsville Beach!! {{SMILE}}  What the heck was I so nervous about?!?  (lesson relearned)

20 minutes on September 26 at Access 19
Litter by weight: 9.5 oz
Cigarette butts: 236
Total amount of cigarettes removed from Wrightsville Beach, NC in 159 days:
50,839
 

No comments:

Post a Comment