Monday, April 16, 2012

Our Daily Ocean: Day 133

When I went to the beach today to meet some friends, I told my kids that I was going to bring my bag "just in case".... and that my plan was just to just sit down and relax.  The thought was nice... but I hadn't made it all the way up the access before my plan changed.  What can I say?  I love the beach and it's harder for me to walk by litter than it is to just pick it up.  Speaking of my love for the beach... found this today.
On Thursday, I attended the Wrightsville Beach Board of Alderman meeting in support of Smoke-Free Wrightsville Beach.  It's been a month since the proposed ordinance to ban smoking on the beach strand was voted down 3-2.  It was an exciting meeting as Cape Fear Surfrider Foundation was presenting a formal petition in support of the proposed smoke-free beach strand ordinance from the residents of Wrightsville Beach.  I, once again, presented what I've been documenting at Wrightsville Beach along with the new research that Sara and I are doing regarding smoke-free beaches and their impact on cigarette litter to urge the WB BOA to adopt the ordinance to ban smoking on the beach strand.     
When it comes to public speaking.... Truth is, I'm not much of a public speaker.  In fact, I absolutely dread it!  I was telling my friend Jason after the meeting that "when I first started this project, I really just expected to hand over everything I was doing to someone else."  I thought that I could be the person that did the research and that was that.  It was a nice thought, but it turns out that there isn't anyone else that I could've ever turned my work over to..... So yes, sometimes I'm uncomfortable.  But, sometimes, we have to do things that make us uncomfortable to bring about the change that is needed. 

I always wondered why somebody didn't do something about that.  
Then I realized that I am somebody.

20 minutes on April 16, 2012 at Access 34
Cigarette butts: 175

 Total amount of cigarette butts removed from Wrightsville Beach, NC in 133 days:
44,211

1 comment:

  1. What is worse than burying one's head in the sand-Burying one's butt in the sand.

    Keep your head up & Speak up.

    Don't mar(l) the boro(ough. (Label for the cig pkg in the sand pic)

    Stop turning your cash into toxic ash.

    ReplyDelete