Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Our Daily Ocean: Day 132

For me, there is no better place than the beach.  It doesn't really matter what I'm doing there... I always love it.  I love the sounds of shorebirds and crashing waves... I love the smell of the salty air... I love the sand between my toes... I love love love it all... for everything it has always been and for everything it will be... and so I go to the beach to protect what I love.


For the past 132 non-consecutive days, I have gone to Wrightsville Beach and taken 20 minutes to pick up litter.  It's not something I view as a chore or an obligation.  It's something that I do as a commitment to the place I love because it's the right thing to do.  And so I have given thanks to the ocean, waves and Wrightsville Beach by removing 44,036 cigarette butts and over 261 pounds of litter with the help of my family and friends.
Bonnie and Ginger posing with a garden rake we found!
Tomorrow, I will go back to the Town of Wrightsville Beach and present to them (once again) the work that I continue to do at Wrightsville Beach.  I will be there wearing blue to show my continued support for the proposed ordinance to ban smoking on the beach strand.  As you know, Sara and I have been comparing how many cigarette butts we pick up in 20 minutes.  Sara is in Santa Monica where smoking is banned on the beach.  If anyone ever doubted whether or not smoke-free beaches work to help reduce cigarette litter... Sara and I are removing all doubt.  Here's where our comparisons are now:

9 beach clean ups-- 105 cigarette butts in Santa Monica
9 beach clean ups-- 2,784 cigarette butts in Wrightsville Beach


Come out to the WB Board of Alderman meeting at WB Town Hall at 6PM to show your support for helping eliminate the number one littered item on the beach strand.  Come wearing blue and support Smoke-Free WB!

20 minutes on April 10, 2012 at Access 15
Cigarette butts: 380
Total amount of cigarette butts removed from Wrightsville Beach, NC in 132 days:
44,036

3 comments:

  1. Best wishes at the meeting. Remember "The answer to no is you haven't asked enough times yet." Maybe this will be the time, if not, the next time. Dilligence and perseverence are most valuable in the face of great challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the beach too. I often talk about it on my blog, and I am sure you will appreciate this particular post: http://blog.kanelstrand.com/2012/03/simple-living-tip-make-way-for-idle.html

    It's funny how far away we are but how similarly we feel. Soon after said post I took a walk on another beach close by and was appalled by the amount of litter I found. I took the first step and photographed all I saw on the beach. Let's see what will come up of this once I present it to the officials.

    Hope your meeting was fruitful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great turn-out last night! your positive message to the board was informative and heartfelt , hopefully your info. and the comparisons to smoke-free beaches will bring them to the right choice this time!!
    i agree with what bernie said!! so true....

    ReplyDelete