Saturday, July 23, 2011

Our Daily Ocean: Day 81

As I knelt down to pick up a grouping of cigarette butts, my daughter said, "You might want to just stay on your knees... it'll probably be easier."  She did have a point... we had barely made it past the changing area at Access 16 and we had already come across several areas that were highly littered with cigarette butts.
Then by the time we made it to the pier-- along with a lot of plastic litter-- we had picked up SO many cigarette butts that my husband asked:

"Was there a RJ Reynolds convention here today??"  (hmmm)  

Not one to normally watch TV, last night my husband turned it on for a split second before watching a movie and there in front of us was this commercial about imagining a world without cigarettes. It made me smile for so many reasons... 



I love imaging a world without cigarettes for so many reasons including the fact that a world without cigarettes would be a world without littered cigarette butts.  Considering  4.5 trillion are littered every year...and the fact that I've counted thousands.... a world without cigarettes sure would be nice....  



... smiling???  I am.  :)

20 minutes on July 21, 2011 at Access 16


Litter by weight: 3 lbs 1.9 oz
Cigarette butts: 487


Total amount of cigarette butts removed from Wrightsville Beach, NC in 81 days:
24,558

No comments:

Post a Comment