Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Our Daily Ocean: Day 78

Lately, we have an evening ritual.  We eat dinner... clean up... and head to the beach.  When we get there, my husband gets in the water on his stand up paddleboard (SUP), my kids run to the water and I relax.  Then as everyone starts to clear the beach 7:30ish... my husband gets out of the water and we do a 20 minute beach clean up.  However, on Sunday, I had to start without my husband because  my daughter wasn't feeling well (sleepyhead!) and we needed to get moving in the direction of home! Pronto!

Not but a couple of minutes into the 20 minute clean up... we were at the Oceanic/Crystal Pier.  The entire north side of the pier was littered with straws that had blown off the dining pier.  In total, we picked up 36 straws from Access 36... BUT... get this:  29 of those straws were from Oceanic.  29 straws blown from the pier.  Here's what I know... it's doubtful that anyone on the dining pier knows how many straws fly off the pier in a day.  Chances are they don't even think about it.  Maybe the waitstaff at Oceanic doesn't think about it...  BUT... Oceanic needs to think about it.  Oceanic needs to DO something because it is their responsibility.  

Normally, when I do a clean up at Access 36, I go under the pier to the Oceanic employee break area to count the number of cigarette butts left in the sand.  But, since I was already pissed off by the number of straws (and other restaurant litter) that I found on the beach...as I got under the pier and saw the mess... I said to myself, "I am not cleaning up their shit.  I'm so over this place." (sorry for the bluntness)
Oh... yes... I'm feeling a tad frustrated. (This is good... frustration moves me.)  ...and it mainly has to do with the fact that I just did a back to back clean up at Access 36.... and guess what??  24 hours after the first clean up... it's a continuation of the same old story.  Yup, this post is to be continued...

20 minutes on July 10, 2011 at Access 36
Litter by weight: 1 lb 15 oz
Cigarette butts: 257


Total amount of cigarette butts removed from Wrightsville Beach, NC in 78 days:
23,631

11 comments:

  1. Have you ever contacted Oceanic and explained your frustrations? Perhaps write to the newspaper and offer pictures and ask for an article written? It's worth a try. I love your work btw. I wish everyone wanted to clean up our planet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Thank you! Yes, I have contacted Oceanic in the past.

    I first wrote them last fall.

    http://itstartswithme-danielle.blogspot.com/2010/09/it-starts-with-us-contact-restaurant.html

    Shortly after writing them, I got a phone call from the general manager who assured me that changes were going to happen because she agreed with me. Unfortunately, nothing changed

    I then wrote them via email and snail mail about the straws and never heard from them:

    http://itstartswithme-danielle.blogspot.com/2011/04/write-letter-get-free-glass-straw.html

    I'm going to be contacting them again :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't take this the wrong way its not how I think. But one environmentalist can be considered a "tree hugger", an extremist and be brushed off by the ignorant. However, letters from the concerned general population are sometimes a different story. We have been to the Oceanic twice and I would have considered going again. But I think it is now our turn to write them a letter knowing that we feel supporting the environment is more important that supporting them. I will see who else I can get to write letters.

    A suggestion that Byron had is a little more tit-for-tat. But he thinks if you had video of the straws being littered from the Oceanic you might find the city would be willing to fine them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't take this the wrong way its not how I think. But one environmentalist can be considered a "tree hugger", an extremist and be brushed off by the ignorant. However, letters from the concerned general population are sometimes a different story. We have been to the Oceanic twice and I would have considered going again. But I think it is now our turn to write them a letter knowing that we feel supporting the environment is more important that supporting them. I will see who else I can get to write letters.

    A suggestion that Byron had is a little more tit-for-tat. But he thinks if you had video of the straws being littered from the Oceanic you might find the city would be willing to fine them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "..letters from the concerned general population are sometimes a different story."

    I COMPLETELY agree. I think all the time that they must be like "oh here they come again...beach/tree hugger." I have often asked others to write because I realize Oceanic may brush me off, whereas if others voiced the same concerns then Oceanic would feel more pressure to pay attention... we could really make some positive changes together :)

    ...and it would be great to be able to have video of the straws and all of the other litter blowing from the pier... (and to catch the employees leaving their cigarette butts in the sand)... but not sure how feasible that would be... hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I was little my Dad got wind of a enormous, 100ft wide by 60 ft tall, above ground water tank the town was planning on putting in at the entrance to our neighbor hood. It was not really needed but the town had allotted money that needed to be spent and instead of using it to maintain the rusty ugly pump stations they already had they decided to build a new one. He made a huge poster of the pristine area the tank was to go and on the flip-side was a modified after photo. Over the course of a week we visited every neighbor, which was about 150 homes. We showed them the poster, we gave them a small flier so they would remember the facts and attended the upcoming zoning/town hall meeting where approval for the tank was suppose to be given. The meeting had standing room only and there were people in the hallway. The town made an unanimous vote to NOT put in the tank. But if it wasn't for my Dad's campaign most people wouldn't have known and the tank would have been approved.

    Though beach clean up is different because it is done by people who visit the beach. I am sure there are many people who would be very moved by dirty and clean photos. Actually that would be an interesting idea to see if the town could be persuaded to erect billboards that educate about the damage of trash. Or maybe with enough letter the Oceanic would do it as a way to show good faith.

    I would think video taping the employees would be difficult and boarding line stalking. But sitting by the pier video taping is what thousands of people do every year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't get over how many cigarette butts you have collected....that is mind blowing! If I lived near the ocean I would be there all the time picking up trash. So I have decided I am going to walk along rivers and even around town and pick up trash. Eventually all that trash would probably end up in our water supply somehow! Have a great day!
    Stephanie~

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stephanie... yes, the amount of cigarette butts is pure craziness. Every time I reach a milestone, I get in a state of disbelief.

    I just love how you've been inspired :) Yes... all drains lead to the ocean... so you taking the time to pick up wherever you see it will make the difference :)

    Thank you for taking the time out of your vacation to help clean up the Jersey Shore :)

    ReplyDelete