Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Our Daily Ocean: Day 78

Lately, we have an evening ritual.  We eat dinner... clean up... and head to the beach.  When we get there, my husband gets in the water on his stand up paddleboard (SUP), my kids run to the water and I relax.  Then as everyone starts to clear the beach 7:30ish... my husband gets out of the water and we do a 20 minute beach clean up.  However, on Sunday, I had to start without my husband because  my daughter wasn't feeling well (sleepyhead!) and we needed to get moving in the direction of home! Pronto!

Not but a couple of minutes into the 20 minute clean up... we were at the Oceanic/Crystal Pier.  The entire north side of the pier was littered with straws that had blown off the dining pier.  In total, we picked up 36 straws from Access 36... BUT... get this:  29 of those straws were from Oceanic.  29 straws blown from the pier.  Here's what I know... it's doubtful that anyone on the dining pier knows how many straws fly off the pier in a day.  Chances are they don't even think about it.  Maybe the waitstaff at Oceanic doesn't think about it...  BUT... Oceanic needs to think about it.  Oceanic needs to DO something because it is their responsibility.  

Normally, when I do a clean up at Access 36, I go under the pier to the Oceanic employee break area to count the number of cigarette butts left in the sand.  But, since I was already pissed off by the number of straws (and other restaurant litter) that I found on the beach...as I got under the pier and saw the mess... I said to myself, "I am not cleaning up their shit.  I'm so over this place." (sorry for the bluntness)
Oh... yes... I'm feeling a tad frustrated. (This is good... frustration moves me.)  ...and it mainly has to do with the fact that I just did a back to back clean up at Access 36.... and guess what??  24 hours after the first clean up... it's a continuation of the same old story.  Yup, this post is to be continued...

20 minutes on July 10, 2011 at Access 36
Litter by weight: 1 lb 15 oz
Cigarette butts: 257


Total amount of cigarette butts removed from Wrightsville Beach, NC in 78 days:
23,631