Saturday, June 25, 2011

Our Daily Ocean: Day 75

On Wednesday--June 22-- I celebrated my 33rd birthday!  Of course, we celebrated my birthday at one of my most favorite restaurants at Wrightsville Beach-- Tower 7.  Normally we do dinner and a clean up... but this time we had to do it in reverse because Tower 7 had nearly a 2 hour wait (!!)... yup... tourist season is in full swing.  And we brought 6 to the beach on Wednesday! ;)

From left to right: Aunt Karon, Aunt Kay, my son, my Mom, my daughter, Aunt Kathie, and my sister Audrey. (not pictured: my cousin Cody)
Some of my family-- my mom, sister, 3 aunts and my cousin-- flew in (from Missouri and Iowa) for a long awaited visit!!  It's such a great birthday gift for me to have them come stay with us!!  
Just like last year, I made a birthday wish for my family and friends to support the efforts of a cause... err... person I believe in.  My birthday wish??  For everyone to support the ocean conservation efforts of Wallace J. Nichols.  
Since Dr. Nichols was a kid he's only wanted to do one thing...
"Work for the ocean.  Not Nike, not Apple, not NASA.  The ocean.  Our ocean."  
Much like our oceans-- to remain an independent scientist-- he needs all the support he can get...

20 minutes on June 22, 2011 at Access 18
Litter by weight: 1 lb 5.5 oz
Cigarette butts: 439
Total amount of cigarette butts removed from Wrightsville Beach, NC in 75 days: 
22,414

2 comments:

  1. Saw the film on Sundance. Came here to tell you I did this on my beach in Gulfport, Fl, and am a freak for bottle caps. Effing bottle caps, a rusty, sharp object where parents think their kids can run free barefoot.
    Anyway, submitted your blog to Reddit.com. You may get a deluge of visitors, I hope.
    Much love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jessica! Love that you cleaned up your beach in FL :) Bottle caps drive me nuts too!! Cigarette butts are nasty, but every time we pick up bottle caps I'm thankful that we didn't step on it first!! Thankfully, because alcohol and glass are prohibited on our beach we don't find too many!

    Thanks for submitting my blog to Reddit... appreciate it SO much :)

    With Gratitude :)

    ReplyDelete