Saturday, June 25, 2011

Our Daily Ocean: Day 75

On Wednesday--June 22-- I celebrated my 33rd birthday!  Of course, we celebrated my birthday at one of my most favorite restaurants at Wrightsville Beach-- Tower 7.  Normally we do dinner and a clean up... but this time we had to do it in reverse because Tower 7 had nearly a 2 hour wait (!!)... yup... tourist season is in full swing.  And we brought 6 to the beach on Wednesday! ;)

From left to right: Aunt Karon, Aunt Kay, my son, my Mom, my daughter, Aunt Kathie, and my sister Audrey. (not pictured: my cousin Cody)
Some of my family-- my mom, sister, 3 aunts and my cousin-- flew in (from Missouri and Iowa) for a long awaited visit!!  It's such a great birthday gift for me to have them come stay with us!!  
Just like last year, I made a birthday wish for my family and friends to support the efforts of a cause... err... person I believe in.  My birthday wish??  For everyone to support the ocean conservation efforts of Wallace J. Nichols.  
Since Dr. Nichols was a kid he's only wanted to do one thing...
"Work for the ocean.  Not Nike, not Apple, not NASA.  The ocean.  Our ocean."  
Much like our oceans-- to remain an independent scientist-- he needs all the support he can get...

20 minutes on June 22, 2011 at Access 18
Litter by weight: 1 lb 5.5 oz
Cigarette butts: 439
Total amount of cigarette butts removed from Wrightsville Beach, NC in 75 days: 
22,414