Sunday, June 19, 2011

Our Daily Ocean: Day 74

For some reason, I had this idea that when warmer weather got here I would be posting our clean ups more regularly.  I guess I forgot that with hot sunny days I'm not inside much and June is a VERY busy month for us!! (More about that later in the week!)  

On Friday, we took a picnic dinner to the beach, played in the ocean and then did a 20 minute clean up.  One of the first things I saw was this plastic bag with million dollar homes in the background.  As soon as I snapped the photo, I immediately thought of this article: "Don't Talk About Fish, Talk About Saving Pristine Oceanfront Property."

I thought about it because every time I do a clean up, I think about how pissed off I would be if I paid a million plus to live on the beach and then had to look at the million dollar view being trashed.  Oh wait, I don't live at the beach and I'm still pissed off that people have a lack of respect for the pricelessness of the ocean and beach.  (ok... I pretty much feel the same about litter no matter where I am)
Though, I have to admit that with many things, I can accept the fact that accidents happen.  Many littered items have been littered by mistake.  BUT...mistakes are an opportunity to learn... an opportunity to make sure it doesn't happen again.  Cigarette butts are different.  Cigarettes are tossed down without any thought or care.  Imagine this:  You're sitting on the beach... you're driving... you're at the park and you see someone throw a plastic water bottle.  How many do they toss to the ground before you say something?  How many do you have to pick up before someone realizes that something needs to change?  I'm not being condescending or sarcastic... I'm serious.  With trillions littered every single year, this problem is not confined to Wrightsville Beach.  This problem is bigger than anyone thinks it is.... so I guess I'm just wondering... when is it going to end?  (yes, I think the same about plastic pollution)

20 minutes on June 17, 2011 at Access 19
Cigarette butts: 469

Total amount of cigarette butts removed from Wrightsville Beach, NC in 74 days:
21,975