Sunday, June 19, 2011

Our Daily Ocean: Day 74

For some reason, I had this idea that when warmer weather got here I would be posting our clean ups more regularly.  I guess I forgot that with hot sunny days I'm not inside much and June is a VERY busy month for us!! (More about that later in the week!)  

On Friday, we took a picnic dinner to the beach, played in the ocean and then did a 20 minute clean up.  One of the first things I saw was this plastic bag with million dollar homes in the background.  As soon as I snapped the photo, I immediately thought of this article: "Don't Talk About Fish, Talk About Saving Pristine Oceanfront Property."

I thought about it because every time I do a clean up, I think about how pissed off I would be if I paid a million plus to live on the beach and then had to look at the million dollar view being trashed.  Oh wait, I don't live at the beach and I'm still pissed off that people have a lack of respect for the pricelessness of the ocean and beach.  (ok... I pretty much feel the same about litter no matter where I am)
Though, I have to admit that with many things, I can accept the fact that accidents happen.  Many littered items have been littered by mistake.  BUT...mistakes are an opportunity to learn... an opportunity to make sure it doesn't happen again.  Cigarette butts are different.  Cigarettes are tossed down without any thought or care.  Imagine this:  You're sitting on the beach... you're driving... you're at the park and you see someone throw a plastic water bottle.  How many do they toss to the ground before you say something?  How many do you have to pick up before someone realizes that something needs to change?  I'm not being condescending or sarcastic... I'm serious.  With trillions littered every single year, this problem is not confined to Wrightsville Beach.  This problem is bigger than anyone thinks it is.... so I guess I'm just wondering... when is it going to end?  (yes, I think the same about plastic pollution)

20 minutes on June 17, 2011 at Access 19
Cigarette butts: 469

Total amount of cigarette butts removed from Wrightsville Beach, NC in 74 days:
21,975

4 comments:

  1. I started doing clean ups too, but we need to do more than that. Many items I found recently were washed ashore, who knows from where. This is a world epidemic, and it is going to get worse before it gets better. Every time I post on my facebook page nobody responds, people are not paying attention to this global problem. We are killing marine animals, ruining beaches, what can we do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danielle, I thought of your blog one day last week while I was sitting in my car at the stoplight at College and Oleander. To my right, I noticed a minivan that had one of those popular white stick- figure stickers on the back windshield. You know, the ones that show every member of the family? There was a mom and dad, several kids, and two dogs. Then the driver's window lowered, a woman's hand reached out and tossed a cigarette butt onto the street. My stomach lurched when I saw it. What a way to set a bad example for her family! I've been thinking about it a lot and it really has made me feel discouraged. It makes me feel much better, much more at peace, to know that you and others like you are teaching children respect for the environment. I am proud to be a part of WB Keep It Clean, and I know we all stand behind you in kicking butts!
    -Susan Miller

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am amazed at the amount of cigarette butts you find. Also the images that you get of it all. Good work! I am vowing to pick up more cigarette butts next time I am at the beach.

    @Laura, try to stay positive. I feel the same way sometimes on FB but I like to think that it is just because many of my friends are enlightened already. Keep putting the good word out there :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Laura You're absolutely right. We have to do more than just beach clean ups. No doubt about it. That's why every time I'm at the beach (or anywhere we find litter), I try to relate what we're picking up to what we put in our trashcan. There is absolutely no such thing as "away" so it only makes sense that we stop supporting the products that are littering/trashing our world. Also, I'd say keep posting on your FB page... people may not respond but eventually you'll post something that will connect with someone and then the ripple will just start spreading.... :)

    @ Susan That's horrible. It's always my hope that when other kids see our kids picking up litter that they learn something from it... whether it's to take their trash with them or picking up litter themselves. (hopefully)

    @ Johna Thanks :) Lots and lots of cigarette butts. I'm always curious about the amounts that others find in their areas... if you happen to count the cigarette butts you find next time you're at the beach... I'd love for you to share :)

    ReplyDelete