Thursday, June 9, 2011

Our Daily Ocean: Day 71

After over a week of being away from Wrightsville Beach... my family and I made it out after dinner for a 20 minute clean up on World Oceans Day.  :)

My favorite moment of the clean up was watching my kids chase after a plastic bag.  They were so determined.  Check them out... they didn't stop until they got it.  My kids ROCK!!! :)
 
After my kids got the plastic bag, we saw a mother and her two kids picking up litter and walking with a plastic bag.  I approached them thinking they had picked up the bag only to find out they brought it to the beach (because she had forgotten their reusables). We got to talking about sea turtles... so it was a great opportunity for me to share with them about how when plastic bags are floating in water they take on the appearance of jellyfish.  I didn't have to say one word more because in that instant, she connected to one of the many problems of plastic bags.  Next time... they won't be getting plastic bags!  YAY!! :)

20 minutes at Access 36 on June 8, 2011
Cigarette butts: 295
Total amount of cigarette butts removed from Wrightsville Beach, NC in 71 days: 
21,347



2 comments:

  1. Amazing..thank you for what your doing. Were headed to the beach soon, and our little family will spend time picking up trash after seeing your blog and video.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you... there's nothing more rewarding than to hear that our efforts help inspire other families :)

    ReplyDelete