Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Our Daily Ocean: Day 34

My kids are all going through different phases with this whole 20 minute clean up project.  My oldest son (who's 8) is over it.  My 6 year old daughter is in the supervisor stage... meaning she points stuff out and draws in the sand a lot.  And... the once most difficult to get to help...my youngest son (4 years old) has become the biggest help.  Out of everything we're doing... he seems to be connecting the most with the project.  From his photos on Day 33 to him saying, "Aww man, it's wrapped in plastic" about a game he received for Christmas.












But even though they're at different stages in how they help or how they feel about the project... they always manage to have a fun time at the beach.... and everything is always more fun with friends!! Yesterday, my friend Tracy and her daughter, Emma (aka Claire's best friend) met us at Wrightsville Beach Access 36.

Since we started doing our 20 minute clean-ups at the beginning of August, we've removed 40 pounds 13.4 ounces of litter from Wrightsville Beach, NC.

Every weight has been added to The Daily Ocean Community Count.  I just checked and the Community Collection on The Daily Ocean was up to 769.8 lbs in 101 days!!!  

My friend Sara who writes The Daily Ocean blog has collected 706.6 lbs in 181 days.  That's 20 minutes at a time... and with her two hands alone!!!  
Did you know that Sara and her amazing husband, Garen, are going to be sailing across the South Pacific Gyre to study plastics with 5 Gyres this spring??  With 80 days to go they still need to raise $19,980. 



20 minutes on December 28, 2010

315 cigarette butts

For more details about the photos, check out the "It Starts With Me" Facebook page.

Total amount of cigarette butts picked up off of Wrightsville Beach, NC in 34 days:

12,848

7 comments:

  1. 2011 will mark my 5 yr milestone since I quit smoking. Every time I see your posts and all the dirty butts laying on that beautiful beach I thank god that I had the strength to quit.

    Our lake shores are already frozen solid. Can't wait to be able to dip our toes in the water again! I think this year's project might have to mirror yours on our local beaches. What a shame that some people still just don't get it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!!! That is so awesome!! Good for you!!

    I would LOVE for you to start your own project on your local beaches... I'm excited just thinking about it!!!

    Can't wait to dip our toes in the water again... I'm ready for the warmth of summer!!

    2011 is going to really be an amazing year :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome thing your family does! It's bonding and environmentalism, right? I admire your dedication to your cause. And like ThreeGreenGirls I'm really glad I stopped smoking years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will never get over all the butts out there!! I must say, Henri's comment about "wrapped in plastic" is classic!! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Danielle

    Happy New Year! Thank you for including me in this post. One of the things that I am most grateful for as I look back on 2010, is that I met you.
    2011 will be great! I'm in on helping with the BAG BAN too!

    thank you thank you
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Crunchyish Mama

    Thank you! It is bonding and environmentalism!! We love the beach and the ocean... no matter what I'm doing... I'm so happy I get to be there. :) ... so glad you stopped smoking too!!

    @Mark

    Henri is full of plastic disgust! I'm training him well!! We're so looking forward to the changes that are going to come to WB in this new year... I have no doubts that The Bait Tanks are going to make a huge impact out here!! By the way... Adam picked up 71 cigarette butts in his office parking lot in 5 MINUTES!! (I can envision Bait Tanks everywhere I go!!)

    @ Sara

    :D There goes my heart again. Thank you. 2010 was absolutely amazing (and surreal)... of course, I had to include you in this post. Thanks to my grandparents... we're going to be adding a little more to the $5 for 5 gyres effort ;)

    Happy New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete