Thursday, December 9, 2010

Our Daily Ocean: Day 29

Hmmmm... where to start???  The past two days have been unlike any other days that I have ever had... or will ever have.  Who would've ever guessed that picking up after other people would make all of this happen... but here I am... here we are...
Ron, Destin, (me), and Brett with my 3 kids... can you tell we're all freezing?!?!
(Thanks to my amazingly supportive husband for taking the photo!!)
I spent my morning doing interviews and showing off my over 11,000 cigarette butts for the short film that is being made because my project was voted as a winner in the Brita FilterForGood Film Project.  I'm extremely grateful for this opportunity... and can't even begin to put into words what the experience really means to me... hmmmm.... something like this:

"As in filling a vessel drop by drop, there is at last a drop which makes it run over. So in a series of kindness there is, at last, one which makes the heart run over." ~ James Boswell 

My heart is running over :)


As usual, Wrightsville Beach was absolutely beautiful... the sky was so stunning.  I wish I had more pictures... BUT...with everything going on... picture reality TV crew or paparazzi...  I forgot my camera in my car. :(  Oh well... the whole thing was filmed...YAY!!.... and that's even better than me taking photos of countless bits of litter and cigarette butts.
Brett took this photo of a littered balloon for me... Thanks Brett!! :)




Oh... and completely have to say how cold it was at Wrightsville Beach.  Could it have been worse??  Definitely, but still 39˚ is too cold for this girl!!  (My feet are missing my Rainbows!!)  So.... when we walked onto the beach, I made the joke that we should just pick up for about 10 minutes and leave.  But, of course, we didn't.  There was surprisingly too much to pick up (and my kids were having so much fun being filmed).  With it being so cold... even at Access 16...I had this thought that it wasn't going to be that bad...that we weren't going to find much to pick up...

I guess I was wrong.

20 minutes on December 8, 2010
Litter by weight: 12.8oz
Cigarette Butts: 262


Total amount of cigarette butts picked up off of Wrightsville Beach, NC in 29 days: 

11,594

No comments:

Post a Comment