Thursday, February 20, 2014

Our Daily Ocean: Day 233

We were supposed to go on a field trip today to Durham, but I couldn't force myself to leave the beach. Museums aren't going anywhere, but true beach days in February are limited... so I changed our plans and my kids and I spent the early afternoon at Wrightsville Beach.
As I was turning my daughter into a mermaid, I realized she was wearing her "Little Mermaid" t-shirt... which reminded me of this billboard I saw so many years ago.  Created to raise awareness among children-- and in turn all Americans-- about the health of the ocean.



Life in the ocean depends on us keeping it clean.  So what are some simple things we can all do?


  1. Don't litter and if you see a piece of litter pick it up.
  2. Refuse single-use products. (Bring your own bag/cup/mug/container/straw)
  3. Reduce the amount of trash you create. (Start by shopping bulk bins and avoiding over-packaged products.)
  4. Reuse what you can and buy secondhand.
  5. Learn more and share your knowledge with others.
20 minutes on February 20, 2014 at Access 15
Litter by weight: 1.3 oz
Cigarette butts: 27

Total cigarettes removed: 57,684


No comments:

Post a Comment