Monday, July 23, 2012

Our Daily Ocean: Day 151

On Sunday evening, my family and I took a picnic dinner and all of our boogie boards to the beach.  We weren't playing in the water long when we started to hear thunder and flashes of lightening.  Although the rain cell was on the north end of the beach, we heeded the warning of the thunder and steered clear of the water until it all passed.
With the impending weather, many people packed up and left the beach... others like us stayed knowing that the southeastern winds would keep pushing the storm to the north.  Another thing that wind did was blow a lot of straws off of Oceanic's dining pier.  We picked up 34 plastic straws and 31 of those straws came from Oceanic. (the other 3 were from McDonald's and a juice box)  Yikes.  I'll be contacting Oceanic again and hope that we can come up with some kind of solution to help keep straws from blowing from the pier and also save Oceanic some $$.  A side-note to that: I'd personally love to see Oceanic start making changes and become part of the Green Restaurant Association.
When I saw that Starbucks coffee lid stopper (yes, I had to google what the heck that thing was!), I immediately thought about the post over on My Plastic-free Life about all of the trash Starbucks creates.  A Starbucks employee wrote Beth hoping to get some help because what she's witnessing is completely unnecessary and ridiculous.  Read the post here: Starbucks Trash: Behind the Scenes  If you'd like to get involved in a social media flash mob to Starbucks, you can learn more about that here: Flash Mob: Starbucks
In 3 weeks (August 14), the Town of Carolina Beach will vote on a proposed smoke-free beach ordinance.  If the council decides to vote in the smoke-free beach ordinance, Carolina Beach will become the first smoke-free beach in North Carolina.  If you support smoke-free beaches, please take take action by sending the council a letter using this Surfrider Action Alert:


20 minutes on July 22, 2012 at Access 36
Cigarette butts: 123
Straws: 34
Total amount of cigarette butts removed from Wrightsville Beach, NC in 151 days:
48,352

2 comments:

  1. so that is why I did not find a lot of straws at Oceanic this morning. I thought that was strange :-)

    Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm from Malaysia, I was on my way through google looking for pictures of garbage and trash for my assignment and then I stumbled upon this blog. You. Guys. Are. Awesome. 'Nuff said. This actually inspired me to do something similar and I hope I will have that conviction to perform. And when I do, I'll let you know!

    ReplyDelete