Thursday, July 12, 2012

Our Daily Ocean: Day 148

This morning, after I dropped my kids off at Airlie Gardens for camp, I decided to do something out of the ordinary for my 20 minute beach clean ups.... a morning beach clean up!  There was little activity happening... so little, in fact, that it reminded me of being at the beach at the end of the day.  Another great time to be there enjoying the beauty of one of my favorite places in the world...
During sea turtle nesting season, the beach is walked very early every morning  by WB Sea Turtle Project volunteers.  As the volunteers look for turtle tracks, many also pick up litter.  Walking the beach this morning, I couldn't help but wonder how much litter had already been picked up before me.  The volunteers are doing an awesome job helping Keep Wrightsville Beach Clean AND finding tracks!  There are currently 2 sea turtle nests on WB!!!

More news!  On Tuesday, the Town of Carolina Beach voted unanimously to draft an ordinance to ban smoking on the beach!  The town council plans to vote on the ordinance on August 14!  This is very exciting because if the council decides to vote in the ordinance, Carolina Beach will become the first smoke-free beach in North Carolina!!  YAY!!!
And when it comes to making a change... when it comes to making a difference... it doesn't matter where it starts....just as long as it starts.  The ball is rolling, the possibilities are there and change is happening... how awesome is that?

20 minutes on July 12, 2012 at Access 19
Cigarette butts: 210
Total amount of cigarette butts removed from Wrightsville Beach, NC in 148 days:
47,899

1 comment:

  1. great photographs Danielle. You develop as a photographer all the time. I love to see it!
    xo
    Sara

    ReplyDelete