Sunday, July 8, 2012

Our Daily Ocean: Day 146

On Saturday evening, my family and I did something that we hadn't yet done this summer-- dinner on the beach.  Going to the beach in the late afternoon with a picnic dinner and staying until the sun sets is by far one of my most favorite things to do.  For me, it's the best time to be at the beach.  The temperature is perfection and the crowds start to dwindle... plus not having to lather up with sunblock is another major perk ;)  Chances are we're going to start hanging out at the beach in the evenings as much as we can... so if you want to do a beach clean up with us sometime...  stop by access 36 and join us!
Access 36 is our adopted beach access and home of the ocean front restaurant Oceanic.  Many times on this blog, I have complained let out my frustrations (here, here, and here) about the amount of straws that blow off of the Oceanic dining pier and litter the beach.  I took the time to email Oceanic about the problem and even talked to the manager and regional manager about some possible solutions to the problem of their littered plastic straws.  And, I have news!  While we were picking up straw after straw after straw... my kids noticed something on the straws that were still in wrappers "Straw Made From Plants" .... "100% COMPOSTABLE"
And I'm stoked.  I like to think that all of my "encouragement" led Oceanic to making the switch from plastic to this compostable straw.  Is this a perfect solution?  No.  But, it is a step in the right direction.  I'm happy that Oceanic was listening and made a change.  YAY!!!

  Now, we did pick up A LOT of straws during our 20 minutes.  48 to be exact.  Here's the tally:

8 compostable straws (Oceanic)
25 black straws (Oceanic)  
13 juice box straws
2 miscellaneous 

Want to know the best solution to this whole straw problem?  Simple.  It starts with a simple phrase.  

"No straws please. Thank you."

(or pick yourself up a reusable straw from GlassDharma or Strawsome)

It's time to reconsider our habits and go without.  

20 minutes on July 7, 2012 at Access 36
Litter by weight: 1 lb 4 oz
Cigarette butts: 224
Straws: 48
Total amount of cigarette butts removed from Wrightsville Beach, NC in 146 days: 
47,563

No comments:

Post a Comment