Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Our Daily Ocean: Day 144

For the past couple of weeks, I have had a hard time getting to the beach.  My schedule has been jam packed, so I've been slacking on beach clean ups.  BUT... good news: I think (emphasis on think) my schedule is going to be pretty mellow for the next month!  Since I haven't been out to the beach much, I've been relying on reading the WB Keep It Clean blog to find out the scoop on how the beach is looking (litter-wise) this summer.  Up until recently, the news has been that there is less litter this year.  BUT... that's all starting to change.

When I walked up to Access 16, the first thing that I noticed was the sign "This is litter too" was moved  directly to a main entry point at the access!!  I'm so happy about the sign being moved because the visibility is SO much better... and the receptacle on the pole is a really great idea!  I was seriously so excited about this simple move, that I immediately began thinking that I was definitely going to find a very low amount of cigarette butts on the beach... but as I walked just behind the sign, I started finding littered cigarette butts.  (such a bummer)
But, the signage move and new receptacle is a step in the right direction.  It's part of the effort to help eliminate the number one littered item on Wrightsville Beach.  On June 7, my family and I attended the WB special meeting where the Board of Alderman had one of two choices to make.  They could either: Vote the smoke-free beach ordinance into effect OR vote to put the ordinance on the November ballot.  Either way, the board was voting to move forward with the proposed smoke-free beach ordinance and it was very exciting to be there!  .... AND... if you haven't yet heard... the board voted to put the "Smoke-Free Beach Ordinance" on the November ballot!


I wonder how many cigarette butts will be added to our growing tally by then??  Hmmm....
"The need for change bulldozed a road down the center of my mind." ~Maya Angelou

20 minutes on June 25, 2012 at Access 16
Litter by weight: 2 lbs 13 oz
Cigarette butts: 410
Straws: 21
Total amount of cigarette butts removed from Wrightsville Beach, NC in 144 days: 
47,034


2 comments:

  1. Over FOUR HUNDRED! ?!? That is just sad. But like you I'm glad to see solutions popping up in more visible places.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey D! Good to read this post. I put a link in mine. :)
    I only found 2.....

    ReplyDelete