Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Our Daily Ocean: Day 144

For the past couple of weeks, I have had a hard time getting to the beach.  My schedule has been jam packed, so I've been slacking on beach clean ups.  BUT... good news: I think (emphasis on think) my schedule is going to be pretty mellow for the next month!  Since I haven't been out to the beach much, I've been relying on reading the WB Keep It Clean blog to find out the scoop on how the beach is looking (litter-wise) this summer.  Up until recently, the news has been that there is less litter this year.  BUT... that's all starting to change.

When I walked up to Access 16, the first thing that I noticed was the sign "This is litter too" was moved  directly to a main entry point at the access!!  I'm so happy about the sign being moved because the visibility is SO much better... and the receptacle on the pole is a really great idea!  I was seriously so excited about this simple move, that I immediately began thinking that I was definitely going to find a very low amount of cigarette butts on the beach... but as I walked just behind the sign, I started finding littered cigarette butts.  (such a bummer)
But, the signage move and new receptacle is a step in the right direction.  It's part of the effort to help eliminate the number one littered item on Wrightsville Beach.  On June 7, my family and I attended the WB special meeting where the Board of Alderman had one of two choices to make.  They could either: Vote the smoke-free beach ordinance into effect OR vote to put the ordinance on the November ballot.  Either way, the board was voting to move forward with the proposed smoke-free beach ordinance and it was very exciting to be there!  .... AND... if you haven't yet heard... the board voted to put the "Smoke-Free Beach Ordinance" on the November ballot!


I wonder how many cigarette butts will be added to our growing tally by then??  Hmmm....
"The need for change bulldozed a road down the center of my mind." ~Maya Angelou

20 minutes on June 25, 2012 at Access 16
Litter by weight: 2 lbs 13 oz
Cigarette butts: 410
Straws: 21
Total amount of cigarette butts removed from Wrightsville Beach, NC in 144 days: 
47,034