Friday, June 8, 2012

Our Daily Ocean: Day 143

World Oceans Day.  A day to celebrate and give thanks to our oceans for all they provide for us... which is a lot more than a nice view and good surf.  Yes, today I did a beach clean up.  How could I not?  But, that was just 20 minutes.  Most of my evening at the beach, I sat stretched out on the sand watching the waves roll in and my kids play in the surf... taking in the salt air and loving that I get to live where I live.


"I find myself at the extremity of a long beach.  How gladly does the spirit leap forth, and suddenly enlarge its sense of being to the full extent of the broad, blue, sunny deep!  A greeting and a homage to the Sea!  I descend over its margin, and dip my hand into the wave that meets me, and bathe my brow.  That far-resounding roar is the Ocean's voice of welcome.  His salt breath brings a blessing along with it."  ~Nathaniel Hawthorne

Good news on World Oceans Day... President Obama proclaimed June 2012 to be National Oceans Month.  He writes:  



"President John F. Kennedy once told us, "We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea -- whether it is to sail or to watch it -- we are going back from whence we came." During National Oceans Month, let us celebrate our heritage as a seafaring Nation by instilling an ethic of good ocean stewardship in all Americans."






"For in the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught." 
~ Baba Dioum


20 minutes on June 8, 2012 at Access 39
Litter by weight: 15.5
Cigarette butts: 94

Straws: 5

Total amount of cigarette butts removed from Wrightsville Beach, NC in 143 days: 
45,624

6 comments:

  1. I love this post, I love the quotes, I love the pics (especially the one ;-)), I love the sea, and I love that it is Ocean's Day!.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure I will ever stop being shocked at the number of cigarette butts you can get in twenty minutes! 94!?!

    Beautiful photos & quotes. We are so lucky to live within such settings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ginger! As we were walking, I saw the roped off area and got super excited when I saw what it was!! AND... it's in a good spot! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ali... thank you. We are so very lucky. Just love it here :)

    ... and... You know, I'm continually shocked by the number of cigarette butts we find... but... I think 94 isn't many!! How messed up is that, that I am so used to getting hundreds that 94 seems good?!? <-- that needs to change!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post too. Thank you for sharing these quotes and the good news about the newly formed Ocean Month! Woot!!
    I found only 1 cigarette butt the last 2 times I've been out! Crazy....

    xoxo
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm… I don't promote smoking, but for some people, I think there's something soothing about smoking by the beach. However, the cigarette butts are irresponsibly tossed everywhere. They should be more responsible with where they throw their cigarette butts. By the way, I commend you for doing this volunteer work. You inspire us!

    Irma Metaxas

    ReplyDelete