Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Salt Dough Ornaments

I wouldn't normally consider myself a crafty person-- maybe it's the season or maybe it's me taking time away from the beach...I'm not sure-- but as my kids and I began making salt dough ornaments.... a wave of creative inspiration came over me.
  ....and I created this ornament with a cookie cutter and plastics removed from Wrightsville Beach, NC. 
(yes, I'm proud)  

So what is it??  Salt dough painted with water colors, decorated with small plastics that I found on Wrightsville Beach... and it's hanging from littered fishing line (that I also found on the beach).

Wanna make your own?  YAY!!  It's super easy and lots of fun.  <--- says the very uncrafty girl ;)

Salt Dough Ornaments

1 cup salt
1 1/2 cups hot tap water
4 cups all-purpose flour

Preheat oven to 325˚ F.  

Dissolve salt in hot water.  Mix flour into salt water until completely combined.  Kneed briefly until soft and pliable.  

On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough ball out into an even thickness of about 1/8"- 1/4".  Cut shapes using cookie cutters, then add a hole at the top. (TIP: I cut the dough ball into 4 pieces... one for each of my kids and me)

Place on cookie sheets and bake at 325˚ F until hard, about 40 minutes to an hour.  Remove from oven and let cool.

Decorate:  Get crafty and use what you have.... or go hit the beach for some inspiration ;)


P.S.  Before we decorated them, my husband thought they were cookies and took a bite! YUCK!!  Do your loved ones teeth and taste buds a favor and let everyone know that they are not cookies! ;)

4 comments:

  1. I love your fish, very cute. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In our culture its almost all about the packaging!
    Not so our ancestors and even some indigenous tribes today.
    Quote from todays Mountain Gazette, pg 4- Well Known writer/photographer visits M.C. school:
    "One of the many items of interest that she pointed out to the
    students was the lack of packaging of goods that are used and
    traded among these cultures, and, as a result, no trash is produced!
    Packaging was invented by “developed” countries. Another
    point that Ms. Reynolds made was that “we all descend from
    indigenous people,” and that the practice of love, compassion,
    tolerance and respect, found among these peoples is the
    key to that peace that is absent in so many parts of the globe.
    http://www.mountaingazetteofvermont.com/Editions/Gazette%2012-15-11%20complete.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beach Hugger... Thank you for the compliment! It was fun pulling out the plastics and finding the right shape for the fins and eye! Now to figure out what to do with the rest of it!!

    Bernie... as always, thank you for sharing! I'm reading the book "Waste & Want" right now and the subject of packaging and disposability is touched on so much. It's quite interesting... you should check it out.

    ReplyDelete